1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado Automatic Door Locking ~ very mad 2011 silverado owner!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hunter69, May 29, 2011.

1. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

I just bought a 2011 silverado supercab with a sticker price of over $47,000.00 plus tax and now I am told that if I want to keep my doors from locking automatically I will have to pay GM $50.00 for a custom bdm program and pay the dealer another $40 to $60 to program it and they also say that if I ever accidentally hit the factory options setting in my dic I will loose this option.

This is unaccetable to me in every way!!

I was also shopping for a new car for my daughter but if this does not get looked at you can believe me that I will never buy another GM. The option to leave doors unlocked should already be in the computer!!
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hunter69.......the Below Information is from the......2011' Silverado Owners Manual.....Section 2....Page 8
    ....Delayed Locking,
    ......The vehicle may have the delayed locking feature. When locking the doors with the power lock switch and a door is open, the doors will lock five seconds after the last door is closed. You will hear three chimes to signal that the delayed locking feature is in use.

.....Pressing the power lock switch twice will override the delayed locking feature and immediately lock all the doors. This feature will not operate if the key is in the ignition.

......This feature can be programmed using the Driver Information Center (DIC). See “Delay Door
    Lock” under Vehicle Personalization (with DIC Buttons) on page 5‑53.
    Automatic Door Locks,

*****The VEHICLE may have an AUTOMATIC LOCK/UNLOCK FEATURE. This feature can be programmed using the Driver Information Center (DIC).*****

See Vehicle Personalization (with DIC Buttons) on page 5‑ 53 for more information on DIC programming.
    .....Lockout Protection If the driver side power door lock switch is pressed when the driver door is open and the key is in the ignition, all of the doors will lock and
    then the driver door will unlock.
    .....If the passenger side power door lock switch is pressed when the front passenger door is open and the key is in the ignition, all of the doors will lock and then the front passenger door will unlock.

If you go to Section 5....Page 53.....you should be able to find the information on programming your AUTOMATIC Door Lock/Unlock yourself For your Truck.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's the first thing I did was to make sure my 08 does not lock unless I want it to....
  4. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

Thanks 99heartbeat but that does not take care of the problem because it does not give you the option to not have the doors lock automaticaly. It either locks when out of park or locks at 13 miles an hour,, you can not program it to only lock when I push the button.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OK....I Got ya, I'm not that up to date on the Lock/Unlock features on the NNBS 2007 and up Silverado's, but I do remember viewing a thread on one of the other truck forum's....where the owner of the vehicle could re-program the Automatic door locks.....I could be wrong......I'm going to see if I can Located that thread.....sorry My information could not help you out....:glasses:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Just curious, are you mad because you actually want to drive around with the doors unlocked or are you upset because you don't have the option to choose? Down here, the first thing I do when I get in the truck is lock the damn doors....too many thugs!
  7. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

99'heartbeat

not a problem thanks for trying to help!

troutbug I am mad for both reasons,, I am from up in New Brunswick Canada, population of less then 1,000,000 in entire province,, I have never seen in the news up here about a thug attacking someone in a vehicle and secondly, When I work on the farm we are always stopping and passenger jumps out for a second then hops back in and off you go,, now every friggin time I stop you have to unlock those friggin doors,,, it is absalutly ridiculouse.

I wish GM customer support would answerr this situation.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I agree Hunter. I wouldn't want my doors locking unless I lock them. What if you're in an accident & knocked out & your friggin car's on fire. How's anyone going to pull you out, or you're bleeding to death & locked in. Seconds count in accident situations. Many times the other party has saved the lives of those in serious accidents way before the emts & police get there. I also don't like the child locks on the rear doors for the same reason. Even a 4 year old is smart enough to get out of a burning car if they can open the door. I see lawsuits coming over these door locks.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Back in '05 BEFORE I purchased my truck I had the salesman go over all the operations of the truck.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

So your made at GM because you didn't have your saleman do this? Didn't the doors lock when you test drove the truck?
  10. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Understood...I can see in your case how that would be very annoying. I wasn't thinking about it in a "working" situation such as farm chores. I actually changed my door unlock feature through the DIC to stay locked until I remove the key from the ignition. I didn't like my doors unlocking automatically when I pulled up somewhere and put it in park. I tend to sit in the truck for a minute sometimes, getting all my stuff together. Of course this annoys the hell out of my passengers, but who cares, my truck!
    There's a few things on these newer trucks that I don't think GM gave much thought to, such as this and not being able to change TPMS pressures, or disable the TPMS altogether. I'm guessing there is some federal mandate behind it all, "for our own safety" of course. Not sure if Canada is bad about stuff like that also...

Oh, and you're very lucky. Thugs will attack you just about anywhere down here in New Orleans. You always need to be on the lookout, especially in town. Lots of poor, lazy, desperate people who don't know any other way of life.
    Last edited: May 30, 2011