1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado Clacking noise. Help?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by miamifire41, Feb 14, 2010.

1. miamifire41

miamifire41 New Member

Hey everyone, I've got a 2000 silverado 5.3 with 80,000 miles on it. I was running 5w-30 in it and I was noticing substantial lifter/piston noise on startup, so I switched to 10w-30, Hayes manual says its ok in warmer weather, I live in miami. the start up "clacking" deminished but I noticed when Im cruising at 65 - 70, I hear a ticking noise.

Question is, is that a lifter acting up or is it the "piston slap" that I read people talking about? and is it an issue? I'm figuring that its just loosening up internally a bit... No smoke, blow by, and I dont loose any oil..

Thanks!!

Sam
  2. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

its probably lifter slap, but could also be pinging due to using low octane fuel, try premium on a tank and see if it goes away.
  3. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

This is a common problem on the earlier 5.3 liter engines. The lower end tolerances were a little loose as far as piston slap, valve train noise is concerned. GM engineers have said it's nothing to be concerned about, the engine won't come apart, but they have recommended to start and run at an idle for approx. 20 seconds before putting a load on the engine.
  4. 1fast1500

1fast1500 New Member

ya mine does that to.. thanks for the info guys makes me feel better