1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado drain pug transmission pan good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 27, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Silverado drain plug transmission pan good or bad idea?

I was tossing around the idea of putting a different pan on my new Silverado 6 speed auto.

Is this a good idea? Have others done it here?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

drain plugs are good to have. are you thinking of a higher capacity pan?
  3. stchman

Higher capacity would be nice, though not necessary. I would just like a way for me to change the fluid in the pan every 10K miles or so in an easy fashion.
  4. dsfloyd

the plug also makes it easier when you change the filter out as you can drain the fluid first. Because it is just a massive mess the other way. I have a drain plug on mine but it has the stupid torqx bolt that gm loves and it just stripped out when I went to drain it:grrrrrr:. But if you can put a standard hex bolt styled drain in I would recommend it. They are not absolutely necessary though.
  5. stchman

Your auto trans pan came from the factory with a drain plug?

How did you strip out a torx, I thought when they fit porperly, a torx is nearly impossible to strip out.
  6. dsfloyd

yep it came with a plug with a T55 head. I was using a cheap socket at first (didnt think I needed an impact gun quality one for a plug) and the socket tips started to twist and then it started stripping out the plug. I tried heating etc wouldnt budge. So basically my plug was worthless.
  7. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

my 2000 sil 4X4 4L60 tranny deep pan has the drain plug. this is good because all but a qt of the fluid comes out. then dropping the pan is not messy.

so the 6sp automatic now does not have this ?

another reason not to get a new GM truck.

I would get the pan with the plug, same size. [no filter issues]
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I had the same issue. I was using a snap-on T-55 torques, so it was not low quality. It happened on my 03 yukon xl. If I remember correctly my 02 silverado had a regular hex head plug, I know that I stripped that one also. Not a big deal I was changing the filter anyway and had to drop the pan. May have been a cleaner job if I had the drain plug.
  9. malcom1978

malcom1978 New Member

Use a Castro 20/50. It's the thickest oil for high milage cars. You'll need about 5 quarts if it's v6. Oil and filter are the things to change for regular oil change.Top up the radiator, break oil, transmission oil, tire pressure, washer fluid etc.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Ummm, that is a little off topic! Has nothing to do with the discussion.