Silverado drain pug transmission pan good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 27, 2012.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

On the gm tranny pan plug , I found that GM used permenent lock tight on these drain plugs. When I have had to remove these type pans , I heat the plug till it glows red then unscrew it. One time as I was heating up the plug the lock tight exploded out. good thing I had safety goggles on.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow, that explains why I could not get either of them out. It does not seem to make much sense to locktight a drain plug in. That would be like putting red lock tight on your oil drain plug.

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yeah pretty much another dumb idea by gm. I tried heating it too, but I didnt get it to glowing as I am always afraid of messing things up that way.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

using a small propane torch heat until it glows red but not too much, then place the cold tool on the stud/plug this then shrinks the plug as the gradual torque is applied it will release.

must remove pan first !

trying to remove this plug vehicle 1 yr old 15,ooomi. I applied so much torque prior to the heat process that , the pan was flexing. that told me permanent lock tight. this then I found on other pans of this vintage.

because of the linkage exhaust and other components the fluid removal before droping pan sure does make it much less of a mess.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know what you are saying there. I was planning on draining it thru the plug. When I could not get it out I started to drop the pan. Only then did I realize that the linkage was in the way. What a mess I made. The next time went smoothly without a drop of fluid on the garage floor.

6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I think I will get a plug made in the spring for our crew cab....I would probably change the
    Granny fluid then every year as maintenance....thanks to any or all for this interesting thfead