1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado Engines

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Talk about anything from fuel filters to fuel economy to rebuilding in this forum.

It's all about the silverado engine that make the silverado go.
  2. 05chevyguy

05chevyguy New Member

Hey currently i have a 4.3L V6 in my 2005 Chevy Silverado, its a regular cab, auto transmision, short bed.. with a tonneau cover. its also painted "victory" red.

but my main problem is that i need a V-8.... Badly! this v-6 just isnt cutting it were i live... all the rich daddies buy there kids mercedes and corvettes at 16 and 17 years old. so as you can imagine me being a teenager i get into several races. but im looking to upgrade to a v-8 but still need resionable gas mileage. i was wondering if anyone had anysuggestions. i was thinking about the 5.3L or 5.7L but i dont no were to buy it or how much it will cost (with install)? i live in texas. and got my truck at showcase chevrolet in dallas texas. can you purchase and have the engine installed at the lot were you bought your truck?
    GM OEM

thanks to anyone who can help me out,

preston :mrgreen:
  3. NoCAL

NoCAL New Member

A good dealer to buy the engine from would be gm parts and I know the dealer that works with them is local to you so they could also install it for you. It would be cheaper to buy the factory chevy engine from one of these types of stores and then have it installed. If you just go directly to the dealer to buy the oem chevy engine you will pay alot more for it.

GM OEM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  4. Rstudley

Rstudley New Member

a compromise would be to change your rear axle gears. my 05 had 3.25 ratio, changed to 3.73. big increase in power, very little decrease in fuel mileage.
  5. AK_Silvarado

AK_Silvarado New Member

you might want to consider just buying one with a 5.3 or 5.7 in it already. your still going to need to dump some money into the motor and tranny to get it to run with the cars you listed. My 5.3 has got some majer balls but it wont keep up with a mercedes or a vette. ya i could tow them back words but its not that fast. now if we are going to talk about rice burners :D thats another story!

Chevy Parts