Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado is making a knocking noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Richmond28, Dec 29, 2012.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

using sea foam in the carb you think will stop the piston knock ?

my guess is this is a lubrication issue. the marvel mstery oil is safe and compatible in the oil when used in the amount I previously suggested.

sea foam is a solvent. this is for rapid cleaning and must be used very carefully to avoid engine damage.
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I know nothing about the 5.7L carb. engines. I know on my 5.3L fuel injected, Engine Knock is typically created by a few things:

• Low oil (it has to be really low)
    • Bad Spark plug/spark plug cable
    • Knock sensors are bad ( the 5.3L has 2)
    • (Specifically to the 5.3L....) the 5.3L has issues with the lifters getting gummed up bad over the life of the engine and they will create a knocking sound when the engine is cold.

Sea foam will help clean the gummed up stuff on the lifters to a certain point. and clean some of gunk on the spark plugs. Knock sensors typically just have to be replaced :-(.