Silverado Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's the best oil filters to use for the Chevy Silverado? I assume everyone's got their own preferences? ​

2. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

I go with Dana/WIX (available as NAPA GOLD at NAPA auto parts stores--and they are reasonably priced as well).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. 4.8chevysilverado07

4.8chevysilverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

i use the same unless royal purple is havein a sale lol

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

i use the same unless royal purple is on sale

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Im a WIX guy all the way, that is when i do my own oil, since during the winter i dont always change it since i dont have a garage, and my truck doesnt fit in my buddies shop....

5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've always gone with napa gold oil filters. I'm a big napa fan and since we spend 50 grand on oil, oil filters, general service on our farm equipment every year might as well buy the truck filter from them as well! I did try a K&N this most recent time though. We'll see if it holds up!

6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I will but stock GM, as I did with my other GM's when they were newer. I know there was a posting or a thread here somewhere in thelast week about a mechanic finding problem with a brand of oil filters recently. He stated something about the brand never used to be any trouble, but when we were all posting/threading about oil/oil changes he mentioned about a particular brand----hope this makes sense as I have had very little sleep today---just got off rotation of 3 x 12's of midnights at work (only in Canada eh!!! )

7. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Amsoil Ea filter.

8. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

I'm simple...Fram works for me. I like the grip on the bottom of the filter.

9. 4.8chevysilverado07

4.8chevysilverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

we took one of them fram ones apart in class one time and the napa was better it had a metal ring holding it together while the fram had just cardboard...

10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've done some research on this. For the most part, there are two categories of filters, plus Fram. In general.....

The first category: Champ labs produces most of the low/mid level filters. STP, Group 7, local quickie lube, Napa Pro-Select and sorry to say, AC Delco. Minimal amounts of filter media, low grade anti drain back, cheesy flat spring, etc. The filter rating scales are virtually useless, therefore it's easy for them to pass. The mid lines like Bosch, Silverline, etc are still Champ, but a little better quality. Better quality anti-drainback for example.

Second category: Top quality filters. WIX (including Napa Gold and Carquest's premium filter), Donaldson, Mobil1/K&N, etc. The WIX and Donaldson (Amsoil) filters are very high quality. Solid construction, good materials, often synthetic blend filter media. Mobil1 and K&N are the same filter, by Mobil 1. They have the best quality filter media, full synthetic with variable pore size.

Fram: For the most part, crap. The orange ones have poor construction, usually cardboard endplates on the filter medium. Abundant marketing gives them a strong market share. The Tough Guard is often a better filter, and twice as expensive.

There are exceptions to this. Some STP cartridge filters are German made, and cost $15 or more. And some Fram filters do have metal end plates, heavy bases, etc.

What do I use? Mobil 1. On an economy job I'll use a Fram Tough Guard.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010