1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado oil life monitor

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bd2200, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bd2200

bd2200 New Member

I bought a 05 Silverado a few monthe ago. It has been at least 7k miles since the last oil change and I still haven't gotten the "change oil soon" message . The dealer said to just check the oil level and to wait until the message appears before it needs to be changed.
    Can this be right? What if the sensor failed?
  2. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

repost this in the powertrain issues area and people will probanly answer quicker
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I moved it here. This happens to be my brother out in Florida, so I'll cut him some slack for posting in the general room. :lol: :sign0016:

The Chevy Oil Life Monitor (OLM) will let you know when it needs the oil changed. Do you have the Driver Information Center (DIC) on that '05? It should have a series of buttons that will change the display in the same area where the odometer/trip meter is located at.

It's also possible that some type of synthetic oil was put into the engine, thus not showing the same breakdown as traditional oil would show.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know with my saturn, there is no actual sensors to determine viscosity, breakdown, etc of oil. All it does is take your driving syle and conditions (drive it hard, ease on it, high strain, etc) and does some calculations to determine when it's time to change the oil. It's weird, and I've never had it tell me it's time to change the oil, but I do change the oil every 3000 miles regardless.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I found GM fact sheet on this.

6. jdchet

jdchet Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'd bet that the formula for figuring out oil life is a lot simpler than it sounds!

Fuel used!

That will take into account highway or city driving, towing, heavy or light loads, etc.

My 2 cents.

JD
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know if it's THAT simple, but it could be a farily simple equation. I'd imagine it's take in factors like:

fuel used-only really gives an idea of driving habits, not realy oil breakdown
    RPM-gives a little more insight into fuel used...
    Water temp- if the block's hot, the oil's probably hot which leads to oil breakdown
    Oil Pressure- oil that's been broken down is more likeley thinner leading to low oil pressure

I would think that a combination of those could create an effective equation to determine how good the oil is.