1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado Radio Power Problems

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by procircuit58, Jan 2, 2008.

1. procircuit58

procircuit58 New Member

I recently installed a Alpine IDA-X001 into my Silverado but I have one problem. I noticed that there is 2 orange power cables coming from my vehicle. 1 I hooked up as the main power lead and the other to the switched igniton lead. I can not get the Alpine unit to turn on. I tested the 2 orange cables for voltage with the igniton on and I am getting 12 volts from one but 0 from the other. I tested both power leads today and found that the ignition switch wire is not giving off any voltage at all. Even when the ignition is on and the car is running. Is there a fuse for this wire any where?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What year is your Silverado?
  3. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

- Check the radio fuse it never hurts
    - Gm usualy uses one orange for the dimmer control, try playing around with your switchand see if the voltage is raising/lowering
    - if your vehicle is 2003+ you have to be using the gmlan01 harness that basically tees off to the aftermarket deck, and you still have to plug the stock deck in (or the module version), if you are, the ign/acc wire runs to the relay, its usually red, and it doesnt work, run a piece of wire from the ign fuse in your fuse box (visible when you open your driver door) and use this wire as the ign/acc wire.
    - usually ign/acc wires are red, make sure you got the right wire.
    - usually they put the 12v, ign, and ground, sorta beside eachother, 2 powers ontop, and ground on the bottom.

if none of these seem to check out let me know what year and other info like ex. are you using a wirirng harness or did you just cut the stock connector off?
  4. procircuit58

procircuit58 New Member

2004 1500 extended cab
  5. procircuit58

procircuit58 New Member

I cut the stock connector off. I checked and I don't have a red wire coming out all I have is 2 orange wires besides the speaker wires.
  6. procircuit58

procircuit58 New Member

I checked the 2 orange lines for power. 1 is definitely constant 12v the other one has no charge at all. I tried dimming the lights and raising them but the voltage was still 0. The only other power wire is black and that is ground. How do I fix this?
  7. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

Im not gonna tell you you cant cut the harness buddy, i mean obviously you did, but on all gms03+ you should used the relocater harness or the even more expensive t harness module. your stock radio controls, chimes, apparently, abs and airbags and a buch of other small things like the signal noise (tic toc noise), i would highly reccomend using one of the two harnesses, either way, if your not going to gm is usually

Yellow lr-
    Brown lr+

light blue rr-
    blue rr+

dark green RF-
    light green RF+

Tan LF+
    Gray LF-

Orange- 12v BATT
    Yellow- Ign/ acc
    black - ground
    illumination - gray
    dimmer - brown
    pink - power antena

ive done enough gm work that i think this should be up to spec somsone correct me if im wrong
  8. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you cut the wires didnt you ...you bad person :lol:
  9. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

this is the reason why i'm still stock
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wanted to breathe some life back into this thread, did you ever find what you were looking for?