1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado/Sierra NNBS 2010 4.3 to 5.3 or 6.0 swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ttuguy1983, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ttuguy1983

ttuguy1983 New Member

Has anyone successfully swaped a NNBS 4.3 to a V8 5.3 or 6.0? Or does anyone know of someone who has that may be able to help me ensure I obtain the right parts? I've searched everywhere, but can't find a single write up or post about the new body style swaps. Before anyone suggests the obvious of just buying one with the V8 already in it, I have already weighed the options and decided I have too much into this truck to start over again. I just need to know what it takes to get the swap done and what parts are needed so I can obtain the correct drop out motor, get it on the engine stand and start building. I have an idea of what it took on the previous generation silverado's, but I'm curious what additional problems I can expect to run into with my 2010.

Mods: Halo Projectors, HID 6000K's, Billet Grill, Black Bow Ties, K&N Filter, Flowmaster 3" Super 44, DIC Cluster, Kenwood Deck w/ 32GB USB, 3500 Watt amp, Subthump box, 2 comp 12's, 4.4Fr Cap, Rollpan, LED Brake Bar, Viper 5901 2 Way Alarm/Remote Start, Tinted rear lights, 275/45/20's, 2.5/3.5 Drop and more.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a friend that went from a 4.8 to a 6.0 about 2 years ago.
    He swapped the engine and modified the 6.0 engine wire harness and body wire harness to get the truck running.
    He has a 4L60E right now, plans are to swap in a 4L80E thats presently being built.
    The engine swap required modifying the wire harness due to different connectors on the two harness's, and new engine mounts, I dont know for sure the engine mounts were required but his were pretty well used up at the time of the swap. The 4L80E is going to get a new trans cross member and mount and again some wiring modification since theirs dissimilar connectors.
    He retained the 4.8 engine computer and without any mods it runs ok, future plans are for a 6.0 computer with a tuner.
    The exhaust was reworked, the original system wouldnt work, the exhaust was cut just before the front sensorand just after the rear sensor, retaining the two sensors and cat. conv.
    Engine placement was an exact fit and no driveshaft mods were required.
  3. ttuguy1983

ttuguy1983 New Member

Was your friends the newest body style? I read a while ago that the new LAN system may cause some problems for my swap. Not sure how true this is.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

His truck is a 2009, same body style as yours.
  5. ttuguy1983

ttuguy1983 New Member

Anyone know anything about 4.3 to v8 swaps in the newer body styles?
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does your 4.3 have an electric fan? I know my dads 6.0 max has an electric fan so that would all have to be wired in and the computer programmed for it. You would probably be looking at better gears as well. Also you may be even looking at having to get a bigger fuel pump?
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

its a long list, fuel pump, transmission 4spd to 6spd, fans, radiator, motor mounts. its oing to be really spendy and take a fair while. my advice is take your mods off the current truck and get a truck with the engine you want.

Alex
  8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with Sierraowner. At the end of the day it'll most likely be cheaper to get a different truck. I almost swapped for a Dmax this week and my dealer was gunna let me switch all my after market lights onto the Dmax and put its lights on my 1500.
  9. ttuguy1983

ttuguy1983 New Member

Im really not interested in getting another truck that ill end up pulling the motor on anyway and the transmission thats in this truck will bolt up. Im looking at building a 5.3 to Swap in and will be adding some diffrent servos, shift kit etc to the tranny along with a higher stall convertor. It really wouldnt make sense with all of the money ive spent on this truck so far to trade it for another that ill end up pulling the motor on anyway. Below is what I plan on doing as long as the swap can be done withought any ill effects due to the LAN system on the nnbs silverados. Not going to be cheap no matter how its sliced......

5.3 motor ( looking for a drop out with all wiring, compressor and power steering pump.)
    Tr220 cam
    Pacesetter long tubes
    Comp springs and hardened pushrods
    3000 stall
    AFE cold air intake
    3.73 gears
    Dealer pcm update to v8 programming
    Custome tune at texas speed
    Transmission shift kit and high performance servos
  10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

id watch out with pacesetters mine rusted very quick but I also got the cheap ones. That's my second set of headers to rust on me I guess I drive thru the swamp to much. I'll be putting on some good ceramic ones when I can stop spending money on other vehicles