Silverado Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by valleyboy_92, Jun 18, 2012.

1. valleyboy_92

valleyboy_92 New Member

Hey new here and wondering if I could get the opinion of some of you "experts" on here. :)

So I made a kinda (debateably) stupid move and bought a 2000 Silverado 4.8L 4X4 Regular Cab with 300,000 KM (186,500 Miles). Two weeks later the transmission is completely shot. So I call around trying to come up with a used one to swap out and I come across a guy who has a 2002 Silverado 5.3L 4x4 Extended Cab with 260,000 KM (162,500 MI). He runs a small wrecking yard and bought the truck from someone who thought the engine was done. turns out the engine is perfectly fine as is the tranny. It was the catalytic converter. He has since removed the front seat, I think only driver's side, and the brackets, etc. He offered to swap trucks with me since all he wants is a truck to strip parts from. I can take the seat out of it before i trade it and use it in his. So my question is...what do you think? Good deal? or is there something I'm missing? I know this may sound a bit fishy to you city folk but out here in rural areas this kind of thing is not uncommon.

2. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If he will let you look the truck over and test drive it, which would require you putting in your seat, then go with it.

3. valleyboy_92

valleyboy_92 New Member

Do you know if the seat is directly interchangeable? or will it require drilling? (which I don't have an issue with).

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the seat should swap right in. seems like a ok deal today.

Alex

5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Should bolt right up to it.

6. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Make sure it doesnt have a salvage title. Very common in wrecking yards. Thats your buyer beware signal if it does.

7. valleyboy_92

valleyboy_92 New Member

Its a small yard...the guy collects trucks and parts them out. He bought this one from someone who thought the engine was shot but didnt get someone to check it. He got it for dirt cheap then when he looked at it realized it was just the catalytic converter.

8. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If the guy doesn't have a reputation for being a crook then I would consider it. Going from a 4.8 to the 5.3 and 2 years newer also from a reg. cab to a ex cab, it would only be to your advantage. Just check it over good.

9. KevAlexander

KevAlexander New Member

Honestly, I'm a country boy and something like that IS a bit rare but not entirely impossible. Bring a mechanic with you to check it out. I always bring one when used car shopping, no matter how good you think you are as a amateur car nut, a mechanic, or heck even an extra pair of eyes could help you out greatly.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Quoted for truth. Be SURE to check the title and avoid a salvage title. You could also snag the VIN and carfax it; it's a small price to pay to see if it's had a salvage title or been flooded.