1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

silverado thump

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by birdie76, Nov 13, 2011.

1. birdie76

birdie76 New Member

Hello everyone. Glad I could find a place just for chevy and gm trucks. I have a 2008 silverado 1500 ltz 2wd. I am haveing a problem with a mysterious thump. It happens when I come to a complete stop then let off the brakes. Sounds like something is binding then letting go. Any ideas? Dealer can't seem to figure it out.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

sounds like the torque converterlocking and un locking. could be u joints are going bad. grab the drive shaft and shake it hard, see if it moves, if its solid, my guess its just the torque converter. check all brackets and connections under neath and see if anything is loose.

Alex
  3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! On my '96 Silverado, there was a "thump" that was diagnosed as the drive shaft "splines" binding up in the "tailshaft" of the tranny. You might get more info' in one of the "Tech'" forums. Lots of good folks willing to help out!
  4. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard and good luck getting to the bottom of the thump.
  5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!
  6. birdie76

birdie76 New Member

Thank you everyone. Glad to be apart of the club.
  7. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

My truck 2012 2500 Silverado 4x4 HD Duramax /Allison has been doing this at Random since I bought it. Anyone have any new news on this? I have about 8k on it now and it is still random... :erf:
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Tighten up the spare tire, or maybe if you had drum brakes, and humid weather, it'd just be the shoes releasing off the drums.
  9. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club! And X2 what Retired 2001 stated.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013