Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Silverado to Cyclone conversion under the hood- Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by PantheraUncia, Jan 12, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So I was talking with my friend that is a mechanic and he said if you really want a fast truck with allot of HP go find a used cyclone. I have never heard of a cyclone, we got online and found some video's on u tube and apparently it is the fastest "stock" truck built.... even beating the ford lightening trucks which come in second in speed records.

Now I am not into the 70's and 80's body styles and I like my full size truck and not a mini truck; and I know allot of us love to mod our trucks,

SO the question is....... What would it take to give a Silverado or Siera 1500 the same or better performance as the cyclone had....

The 0-60, the one mile.... etc. I understand that this means allot of upgrades.... prob. replacing the diff, axles, transmission, all the manifolds, lowering the truck between 1-3 inches, re-programing/tuning, etc....

What would a parts list be for this type of build out? and if we could break it out into 1) least expensive build 2) moderately expensive build and 3) the premium upgrades for the best build.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

are you talking about the GMC jimmy cyclone??? if so that really wont take as much to beat out. ill wait for more infor before i state anything build wise.

3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

4. ALL4GLH

ALL4GLH New Member

Kind of hard to beat an AWD turbo 6 in that chassis.

IMHO, the amount of money needed to make a silverado comparable you would be able to buy a used Syclone or Typhoon. Otherwise, a lot of suspension, motor, tuning would be required......not to mention a nice sized turbo.

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I remember that truck!

7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They were a great GMC truck. They also made the GMC Typhoon that was a nice package also.

1991-gmc-syclone-13_c_1280x782.jpg gmc-typhoon.jpg

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Nak the problem is the big difference in weight between the S-10 and the 1500's would be the biggest issue. I bet if you put a big enough turbo on the 5.3 you could get what you want. I would agree you would have to drop the level of the truck a few inches. I would also say maybe a gear change depending on what you got in the truck. It would be nice if the general came out with a truck like that.

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yep the Jimmy is what i was refering to, i forgot about the truck model however since they are so rare. As to making it that fast, i personally think you could make the 5.3L put out more power (once again though the power to weight ratio is the issue here) you will want to go with a super charger. I am not a fan of a turbo in that large of a truck due to the lag that you dont want off the line with that much weight. a good cam, bigger injectors, I would put in better head and intake gaskets and a blower putting 10PSI should net you the range of power that you want. a good tune to match the blower with the power train (the 4L65E will need to be built to take the power or that will grenade at its first oportunity) i agree with the rear gears anything less than 3.73s will not give you the desired results. but a bottom line build will be at least $10K.

10. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Truckin' Magazine has fixed up a GM truck that can give you some ideas