Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Silverado Tumbler Won't Turn

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KS1500HD, Mar 19, 2010.

1. KS1500HD

KS1500HD New Member

I have an 02 1500 HD and it never fails when I get in to start the truck the key will not turn. I try backing it out a little, sticking it all the way in, but mainly just keep wiggling until it unlocks and rotates to start the truck.
    What I am wondering is can I actually purchase a new tumbler and key like the older Chevys and just install it at home? Or do I have to contact the dealer to have THEM install it?
    The old GM trucks with the little metal tabs on the tumber (the kind you could pull the key out running or actually start it w/o a key) you could buy at Autozone or O'Reilly's and it came with a couple new ignition keys. Install it yourself and you are good to go. I am thinking that the factory anti-theft will only allow me to have it dealer installed.
    Any info would be great, because I KNOW I am not the only person that this has happened to...LOL

2. KS1500HD

KS1500HD New Member

I found I can order one from either Autozone or O'Reilly's. Now figuring out the installation.