1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado ZR2 Concept - SEMA 2009 unveil

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Nov 4, 2009.

?

What's your opinion of the Silverado ZR2 concept?

1. Awesome, beats the Ford Raptor hands-down.

161 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. It's nice, but only about the same as the Ford Raptor.

31 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. It's a dud, I'd take the Ford Raptor anyday.

18 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Silverado ZR2 Concept
    GM reveals new Silverado ZR2 concept truck at SERM 2009

It was just a year ago - SEMA 2008 to be exact - that Ford grabbed the headlines with their off-road warrior, the Raptor, and rightfully so to be honest. GM was in no position to compete with that vehicle at that time, but they did in fact respond in a year's time with a equally-impressive Silverado ZR2. What a difference a year makes.

[​IMG]
    Chevy Silverado ZR2 Concept - Shown at SEMA 2009

Powerplant? 550 HP LSA baby!
    It would not have been enough to just tweak the existing Silverado to offer a capable response to the Raptor, some serious upgrades are in order, while still keeping the overall visible Silverado appearance. The powerplant is a 6.2L supercharged LSA v8 cranking out 550 HP. This is the same engine found in the Cadillac CTS-V and it's matched up with the six speed auto transmission. It is very impressive and out-performs the 410 HP cranked out by the Raptor, although raw-power isn't everything, it is a LOT.

Suspension & Appearance
    The suspension and off-road ride was adressed with a 4-inch lift and 20-inch wheels / 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler tires. Carbon-fiber is all over the Silverado ZR2. The grille, fender flares, hood, tailgate, rocker panels and more are all carbon fiber. Overall, the design of the Silverado provides clues to the next generation re-design of the Silverado itself. This appears to be a boxier front-end with more elongated and bolder features. The carbon-fiber is not likely to see production simply for cost reasons, however anything is possible and technology makes production cheaper all the time.

Overall?
    While the Silverado ZR2 may only be a concept vehicle, many of the components inside it are available today - the LSA engine for example. Having multiple outlets for this technology will help to make it cheaper overall. An indepth comparison shows that the Silverado ZR2 is not exactly the same type of vehicle as the Ford Raptor, and that's ok, two different vehicles trying to provide off-road enthusiasts with the desired effect. We sure hope to see this put into the real-world sometime soon though.

[​IMG]
    Ford Raptor - Shown at Dallas Auto Show 2009
  2. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Can't wait to see the truck when it's actually made.
  3. b_burdine

b_burdine New Member 100 Posts

Not too found of the color. But I do like the hood and the exhaust is pretty sick for sure.
  4. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member 100 Posts

good styling, great engine and tranny, not too sure about how well it stacks-up for true offroad, but it's got a lot of power.
  5. disturbedvn

disturbedvn New Member

If they build it I will BUY!!!:great:
  6. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

Its neat looking for sure.. but it is alot like the Raptor.. They could have tried to make it a little more unique looking in my opinion.
  7. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast New Member

Might have to trade my truck in on one of these bad boys. Any ideas on when they might be out?

I hope the brakes aren't too big so we can run smaller wheels than 20''. Id like to keep the wheels at 16'', fill that wheel gap with some fat mud tires.

I like it a lot more than the Raptor but want to see more pictures
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

I actually find the 35" tire on a 20" rim almost balanced. Step it up one more inch or two on the tire and the balance would be perfect. Keep that wheel opening though. It would allow for a much bigger breaking surface to be employed.
  9. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

can't wait to check one out in real life!
  10. shurshot

shurshot New Member 100 Posts

I agree that it looks too much like the Raptor! The design team could have done a lot better! I like everything else though, would love to see that engine in a true Lowered Ext cab SS!