1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silvy vs Hemi

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by heavy chevy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

Ok here is the senario: 07 Hemi Quad vs 08 Silvarado 5.3 reg cab

Hemi mods= CAI TUNE EXHAUST
    Silvarado mods= EXHAUST

Ok i am on another forum and a guy post this senario and wants to know what would win in a drag. Ok !!!! He says it is for big braging rights and he drives the hemi. I told him that it may not be as easy as he thinks and it is like comparing apples to oranges. I also gave him some info on the silvarado. I explained to him even with the mods he might not win beacause of the hp to weight ratio. The chevy being reg cab and the hemi being quad cab. That is a big diffrence in weight to get moving. I also explained that he might have the same problem even against a 4.8. Then this other guy starts bashing the vortec engings and then i gave him a lil piece of my mind.

Any way i want everyone elses take on this situation. What do you think would happen? I know we are all gm biased in here but try to take a non biased approach to the situation.

I only know from experiance that i Spank my buddies 08 HEMI QUAD and that is with a tuner that isnt working right:fighting0040:
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Id say Silvy reg. cab because of weight differance. Also, freinds 5.3 5spd reg. cab SMOKED Ford Lightning. I loved it!
  3. sheep

sheep New Member

well i come from a dodge family so i have been in and out of those trucks since 98(i was too young to remember most of whatever was going on but i still always thought my dads truck was the coolest thing ever). not to mention i jump in and out of them all day at work.

i love the hemi motor and the whole dodge truck line but i have to agree with you on the wieght to hp ratio but i dont think the vortec would just straight up win either, assuming they are both well taken care of and running at the top of there game
  4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

I have to agree with sheep. I love my truck to death and it's hard for me to say this. I come from a mopar family too. I would say it should be somewhat of a good race. My dad has a 02 dodge ram 1500 crew with the 4.7 in it and that thing just flys off the line. I honestly would have to say his truck could beat my 07 silverado 5.3 crew in a race.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

I think the Ford would win unless someone cheated.:na:
  6. 06piney

06piney New Member

I would have to lean to the silvy along with the others.

You can have all the hp in the world but if your truck weighs as much as an abrahms tank youn aint getting going very fast.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

When I had my 2004 2500HD ext. cab with the 6.0, I know it's not the 5.3 but here's my opinion on your scenario. I used to love racing those Dodge Daytona trucks (fancy wing in the back, 20 inch wheels, pretty HEMI sticker on the side, factory cowl hood on it), now I don't know what then engine size was in those trucks but I would leave them with 3-4 car lengths and hold them off until the next light.

Bottom line I think it depends on who's driving the truck, If you have someone who likes to talk s*** and is afraid to really hammer it then I think that matters. People would look at me and laugh (girl in a big old grampa truck with the tool box in the bed), but I always got em taken care of because I wasn't afraid to hammer the truck. The driver is the key, not the truck! If you put me in that Dodge I bet you I could dust the Chevy 5.3 no problem, :happy::happy::happy:

My honest opinion I don't think the 5.3 has the balls that the 6.0 has, and I would never race my 5.3 like how I used to beat on that 6.0! I am ducking all of the banana peels now, sorry guys!
  8. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

i work with a guy who drives an 05 hemi quad, and i have an extended cab silvy. i can take him from a stop, and from 55 mph. they dont have the power ppl thin they do. he has a cai and dual exhaust and a tune too. i have been trying to talk one of my friends with a dodge daytona pickup to race me but he wont do it
  9. sheep

sheep New Member

i have always thought there are no 2 vehicles alike, my dads 04 hemi will pull his 26 foot 5th wheel all loaded down an easy 65 and it keeps wanting to go faster
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Not sure what my two cents is worth, but on occasion I deliver Dodge vehicles from other states to the local stealership. (Basically I get long extended test drives) I've driven a few 06-09 quad hemis. I think it would be a close race at the end. If they were stock the Silverado would have the early part of the race, and the Hemi would probably take the race at the end or tie after it gets rolling.
    After all you are correct, we're talking some serious extra weight. Not like a king cab with a little jump seat in the back, but easily 1000lbs more than a standard cab.

We could all speculate, but until two people with those trucks race, then it will only stay speculation.
    So tell this guy, put up, or shut up.:na: The only thing speculation does, is help him avoid the embarrassment of being wrong.