1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Simple question?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by tigersdl65, Jul 29, 2009.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

I finally got alll the parts to my lift(skyjacker had some beat-up boxes and small parts fell out I guess). Anyways it is a 3in susp lift and was wondering is it worth the cost to get a shop to do it or, can me and my old man do it just as well?:neutral:
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Look over the directions a couple of times and make sure your comfortable with doing all the steps. Also make sure you have all the tools required for the job or can easily get your hands on them. If you feel you can do it, go for it, it's the only way to learn--heck even charge your buddies to put theirs on once you know how to do it!!
  3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you do it yourself make sure you get an alignment done when your finished.
  4. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well, lookin at your avatar, if looks like you have a mid-90's truck or suburban. My buddy had a '99 sierra that we put a lift on. The rear was a snap (blocks (and new leafs, but that was his choice)), but the front was a whole different story. It took us about 3 weeks to get done (we were in school though, we we only had a few hours after every day to work on it). I don't remember exactaly all the steps, but it was a much more difficult process. Now, I don't know exactaly what year your truck is, so I can't say if it's any different or not. We had to cut some parts of the frame, drill other new holes, mount the torsion bar drop, etc... and it was just an overall a pain in the ass. But it turned out fine, pretty good for a coupla high school kids having no idea what they were doing.

My suggestion - Do the rear yourself (that's always easy), and look over the directions a few times for the front and decide yourself whether or not you want to do it.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say that if you're even questioning it, you need to take it to a pro. Or at least get a friend who has done it before to help you. What kind of work do have experience doing?
  6. tigersdl65

Just typical maintence work i guess.. I have put in idler arms, new torsion bars and keys, pitman arms, new front axles, new brakes, blocks, headers. None of this was on y truck but friends with similar rides. Never have done a lift though, I know I can do the rear. The front drops the differential, and has new A-arms, and longer shocks is all. So I have more suspension travels when I crank the t-bars.
    If you are wondering it is a 96 ext cab Z71. Do I need to grease the bushings that go in the shocks, or any of the bushings?
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If your handy with wrenches you can do yourself. As stated on the other post read directions TWICE and INVENTORY your kit. Nothing worse than getting your truck apart and finding missing parts (dont ask how I know that). Our guys would install that kit in a day, so it will probably take you a week end. Just a suggestion, when you inventory your kit lay it out on the floor in sequince with the directions this way your not hunting for parts when your trying to get it done. Take your time, good luck and just have fun with it.:biggrin:
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

take it to a shop if u have know idea of where to start.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like it's in your capacity based on your experience. Do you have the tools and a good place to work?
  10. tigersdl65

Yep I have the tools and a shop to work in. No T-bar tool but I have a gear pulleer that works like a charm. I already inventoried it and got the missing bolts shipped to me.
    If any of you know Gary L. on here, he installed the same lift on his burb and did an awsome write up so that helps also.