1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Single in and Single out Flowmaster exhaust with stock pipe.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Klutch Mclovin, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin New Member 100 Posts

I have a 4.8L Silverado. I want to get a single in and single out flowmaster 40 series muffler. I was going to keep the pipes stock. How good would it sound? I don't want anything really loud, I just want to get the rumble. Would this just be a waste of money or not? As for the tip for my exhaust I found an angle cut stainless steel tip 8.5" x 3". Here is the link to it-EXHAUST TIPS Stainless Steel T304 Angle Cut 8.5" X 3" | eBay would this be fine or do I need to buy a $65 tip?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think you'll find it'll give a nice little rumble, not obnoxious at idle and open up a little in the higher RPM bands
  3. Klutch Mclovin

That's pretty much I am looking for. What about the exhaust tip that I posted a link of?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats a 3" inlet I dont remember what your exact pipe size is but I know it's smaller than 3"s more like 1 1/2 or so, youd need a reducer to use that tip.
    So yes it will work if you have room to cut your pipe back far enough to fit a reducer and the tip on so it doesnt stick out to far.
  5. Klutch Mclovin

The pipe size for my silverado is 2 3/4 and once I weld it to the stock pipe I think it will be fine I'm not quite sure. I'm gonna measure my current stock exhaust to make sure the tip will not stick out to far.
  6. DSKMAN

DSKMAN New Member

Hi there guys im new to this forum and i just wanted to say that i was looking at getting a flowmaster american thunder system with the dual out the rear and the super 50 series muffler. And as a reply to the first question wouldnt you have to cut your pipes because its all welded? How were you planning on getting the stock pipes back on?
  7. Klutch Mclovin

Some mufflers are held on by clamps so all you would need to do is loosen the bolts around the muffler. If the muffler is welded you could use a sledgehammer to knock it loose or use a hacksaw to cut it at the weld and replace the muffler and weld the pipes to the new muffler.
  8. ebigfish

ebigfish New Member

Good stuff. I was thinking about this too...