Sirius Radio 05 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by silversurfer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

I have had Sirius for several years, had the old model Stratus and the other day the wiris rubbed through - it was going to cost 50 bux just to replace the wires so I figured I would go ahead and upgrade my radio.

I got the Sportster 5 which is very cool, has live radio replay and rewind and ( cool factor ) you can change the colors - has about 16 different color combinations so you can match your dash lights, or mood, or whatever!

anyways - my old Stratus worked well - had a little bit of static noise which I fixed by that little coiled wire you can buy off eBay for less than 20 bux. This new radio, I have hooked up the same as my old radio - and I hear shhhhhh sound in the background :grrrrrr: So I installed the FM antenna extender ( just a wire which mounts on the inside of the window and connest to the radio.... STILL hear the sssshhhh

so I am thinking I am going to have to break down and pull out the stereo and connect the direct-connect to the Chevy radio and the Sirius radio.
    How difficult is it to remove the factory radio? Is there a link to a web page or step-by-step?

thanks for the help!

2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a sportser I would have given you. I don't use it any more.

3. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

arrggg!! that sucks - I just spent 180 bux @ Best Buy!!
    Did you have yours wired directly into the radio?

4. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

I dont know if it will work with your, i had sort of the same problem i just took my antenna off, and problem went away. just something to try.

5. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

hmmm.... I'll go outside and give it a shot... couldn't hurt.

6. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

makes it better but it's still swoooshy static sounding.
    thanks for the tip. I really don't relish the idea of going to the trouble of removing the radio. Especially because the cheap old Stratus was so quiet ... so I upgrade to a super expensive fancy one which sounds krappy...