1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sirius Radio 05 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by silversurfer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

I have had Sirius for several years, had the old model Stratus and the other day the wiris rubbed through - it was going to cost 50 bux just to replace the wires so I figured I would go ahead and upgrade my radio.

I got the Sportster 5 which is very cool, has live radio replay and rewind and ( cool factor ) you can change the colors - has about 16 different color combinations so you can match your dash lights, or mood, or whatever!

anyways - my old Stratus worked well - had a little bit of static noise which I fixed by that little coiled wire you can buy off eBay for less than 20 bux. This new radio, I have hooked up the same as my old radio - and I hear shhhhhh sound in the background :grrrrrr: So I installed the FM antenna extender ( just a wire which mounts on the inside of the window and connest to the radio.... STILL hear the sssshhhh

so I am thinking I am going to have to break down and pull out the stereo and connect the direct-connect to the Chevy radio and the Sirius radio.
    How difficult is it to remove the factory radio? Is there a link to a web page or step-by-step?

thanks for the help!
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a sportser I would have given you. I don't use it any more.
  3. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

arrggg!! that sucks - I just spent 180 bux @ Best Buy!!
    Did you have yours wired directly into the radio?
  4. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

I dont know if it will work with your, i had sort of the same problem i just took my antenna off, and problem went away. just something to try.
  5. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

hmmm.... I'll go outside and give it a shot... couldn't hurt.
  6. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

makes it better but it's still swoooshy static sounding.
    thanks for the tip. I really don't relish the idea of going to the trouble of removing the radio. Especially because the cheap old Stratus was so quiet ... so I upgrade to a super expensive fancy one which sounds krappy...