Size does matter

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sheep, Dec 29, 2008.

1. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

maybe im just not looking or searching in the right area but i cant seem to figure it out

i just need to know whats a good exhaust cat-back size for the 5.7? i like to go a little bigger then stock but of coarse i dont want to free it up too much, it will be exiting the stock area so it will be a single out.

thanks for any help

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I went with 2.5" on the '96 I had. I had true dual Flowmasters installed and it worked for me. good luck!

3. scooby2b2

scooby2b2 New Member

Size Matters

My freind went with a 2.5 dual in single 2.5 out flowmaster and 3.0 pipe out stock location and hangers. Good sound not too loud but not queit either. Ran better and a local muffler shop installed for 170.00

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sorry to cut in with my own questions, but if i can add to this topic it might help both of us. i priced some exhaust shops for custom dual exhaust and this is what i got from them,

- i asked if high flown cats helped, he said not really except for actual performance vehicles

- i asked if an 'H' pipe would help with torque, he said yes but to enough to compensate for the price

- i asked about 1 2-in-2-out muffler or 2 1-in-1-out mufflers, he said that instead of having an 'H' pipe, the 2-in-2-out would act as if there were an 'H' pipe and that if i had 2 1-in-1-out that the sound would pop and crackle (like the cleshe' redneck sound) whereas if there were a 2-in-2-out, it wouldnt.

- he also stated that the highflow cats could and probably would cause the O2 sensors to throw a downstream code or something of the sort

i cant really remember what else was discussed, but i was wondering if any of this has been experienced or experimented with and am asking for some feed back please.

5. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

i have a highflow cat on my tercel and 02 sensors seems to be fine

ill probably go with a 3" pipe, its not going to be duel so i think 3" would be ok for the single

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3" is fine for a single, that's what I went with on mine. I also have the high flow cats and an aero turbine muffler and it sounds and performs great.

7. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

i was going to get a price on 1 into 2 and have the tips come out at the corners of the rear bumpers but i dont think i want to go that rout anymore. we shall see

8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i got a price for mine the other day. for 2 magnaflow high flow catalytic converters ($80 a piece) the muffler, 2 1/2'' tubing from the headers, total cost of around $400.
    the muffler is a flow master 2in 2out, and like sheep said, my tips are coming out at an angle towards the rear corners. i cant wait

9. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

im sure they will look and sound awesome. everyone does it straight out the back and imo its really ugly. i also considered coming out right before the rear tires but i think thats a little too redneck for me

10. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can't go wrong with 2.5" flowmasters.