Slammed on the breaks, stalled, then would'nt restart.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Areonic, Feb 25, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Areonic

Areonic New Member

So I was driving down the road, slammed on the breaks and it stalled out. Put it in neutral tried to restart it, it would crank but not actually start. Put it back in park cause now comes the all serious face....did the same thing. Pumped the gas a lil, nothing. At one point I just got some smoke out the tail pipe while holding it down to start. We had a real bad smell of gas, but didn't see any leaks, popped the hood and didn't smell gas at all. Only smelt it while outside of the car. So I Google a quick car wont start after slamming on breaks....saw someone say push the gas peddle all the way to the floor then try to start....it struggled a lil bit but then started. Drove it home and seems ok now. But I'm not happy with that, why did it stall when I slammed on the breaks to come to a complete stop, and why wouldn't it start afterwards? Id like to fix it, if its something that caused it.

It's a 94 Suburban K1500
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

Someone I am sure will chime in. But I believe there is a safety valve or something in the fuel pump to stop the flow of gas to the engine in the event of an accident. That's my guess.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, could have been a number of things, I'm guessing low fuel level in the tank, the sudden stop may have caused all fuel (including the amount held in the pump well) to fly forward and starved the pump.

It could also have been a fuel flooding problem, common on carb cars, but you should have a throttle body.
  4. Areonic

Areonic New Member

Yea its a throttle body, and has more than half a tank of gas.