Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Sleeping in Suburban -how can I cool it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, Jul 9, 2008.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

We are driving from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ Saturday. We will sleep in the back at a rest stop along Hy 287 Around Quanah,Chillcothe, Childress. The high on Saturday in that area is going to be 100.
    Last trip it was much, much cooler, so we didn't have to run the motor much to run the AC. This time it looks like there is no way to not run the AC. It will be for 6 hours -about 4 gallons $17 or so.

Any ideas on how to cool it without using the AC ? A swamp cooler won't work ;the humidity is too high . Those tiny fan/ice chest coolers won't work. I'm considering bringing lots of ice , putting it in freezer bags ,and placing the bags close to us while we sleep. I even considered hauling a window ac and a 3500 watt generator (too heavy ,too bulky ).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Charlie

PS -A motel is out ; they are about $80 even in those small worn out looking towns near the panhandle.

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. phoebeisis

ct9a -thanks for the tip . Next trip I might get one of those fans.I have a 12 v fan, but It isn't any great shakes.

100 degrees is the projected high Sat- it is supposed to get down to 73 or so Sunday am (about 5 am probably). The problem with that is it will be about 80 degrees with very high humidity when we stop at midnight.

I have a 2 part plan - leave earlier and try to get farther west and norht.Amarillo projects 84/63 Sat -much better despite being only about 150 miles WNW of Quanah. The second part is filling gallon freezer bags with ice and placing them in towels close to us with the fan on.

I suspect that we will have to go to the 250 hp AC before the night is over.

Thanks,
    Charlie

4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yeah, I'd just find a cheap place to stay in if it's going to be that hot. Even 80's would be uncomfortable over night since it'll take awhile to cool down. Add that to the cost and trouble of carrying around extra fans, AC, power, etc. The motel sounds better and better!

5. phoebeisis

Yeah, a room isn't such a bad idea; you get to take a shower etc, and that is nice. The downside is the $80 ,and my wife insists that I unload everything so it won't get ripped off. The unloading is a big pain-at least 15 minutes since some of the items are ropped onto the carrier. I have to relaod in the am also.

It might very well come to a room or the 250 hp AC- probably the 250 HP AC, but it would be worth $15 just to shower after driving all day across 95-100 TX and Louisiana.

Thanks,
    Charlie

6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is a motel in Memphis, which is just a few miles past Childress, called the Cactus Motel. I stayed there last year and I think it was around 35-40 per person per night. Not a luxury place, but a bed, ac and a shower, oh and trains going by every few hours. It's right on 287.

http://www.cactusmoteltx.com/

I would be concerned idling the truck that long. It's one of the worst things you can do to an engine.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If I would have anticipated that you were willing to try to go farther, this would have been my first suggestion. Higher altitude and lower humidity is sometimes all it takes to make sleeping more comfortable.

8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've seen pickups with air conditioners mounted in the slider window! :no:

9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not debating your point, but don't police cars spend most of their life idling? Hell, even the new GMC,Chevy, and Ford trucks have hourmeters now.

10. asstda2b

asstda2b Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

you can usually idle a truck for about 30 min to 45 mins and use only a tank of gas. however, i had to pick up my boyfriend's car with him from El Paso, Tx, and he drove most of the night and then i drove the rest and we took turns sleeping. we made it from El Paso, Tx to California in one night. that way, you can spend time together, but then one can also sleep and you don't have to spend money on a motel or worry about sleeping in the heat. just an idea.