Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Slide in camper questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Zorro, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Zorro

Zorro New Member

Picking up my new/used Northern Lite 8.5 slide in camper on Saturday and have a few questions. The camper dry weight is 2100lbs and I drive a '08 Sierra 2500 duramax with 3.73 rear and has the Z82 trailoring pkg. Trucks GVWR is 9210lbs (3k frt 6k rear). I have 10ply Toyo MT on 16"GMC forged wheels. Will I have a lot of squat? Is this a safe configuration? Should I buy airbags? Any other info would be appriciated because this is new territory for me. Thanks!!!!

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: To the site....With the Truck you have,you should be fine.A 3/4 with a Duramax & 3.73's ,you may get some Squat.But Air Bags would be a Very Good addition,for Handling & Towing something to keep in mind??.....I Tow a boat, I will Not Tow without Air Bags ever Again.The Truck Handles & Ride's So much better with the bags,went I'm towing than before.It has been 1 of the Best Mods I could have put on my Truck....As far as Air Bags go the 2 to look at would be Air Lift and Firestone,with having a 3/4, if you do get air bags get the 5,000lb Bags.

3. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my mom pulls a 43' fifth wheel horse trailer with her 2500 duramax, it squatted a little so she had an extra leaf spring put on each side, now the thing sits a mile high in the rear and feels like you're riding on the frame when the trailer isn't hooked up but when she's pulling it rides like a dream. I think you'd be fine with the stock. congrats on the new buy and looking fwd to seeing lots of pics!

4. Zorro

Zorro New Member

Thanks for the info. I see firestone airbags are around $250. The compressor would be nice but it's another $250! Is there any tips on setting up airbags? They look to be no drill bolt-on units.

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here are step by step instructions from Air Lift,to show you what is involved in mounting Air Bags,

http://airlift.iwebcat.com/imgVD/AIL/MN-324_59501.pdf