Slide in camper questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Zorro, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Zorro

Zorro New Member

Picking up my new/used Northern Lite 8.5 slide in camper on Saturday and have a few questions. The camper dry weight is 2100lbs and I drive a '08 Sierra 2500 duramax with 3.73 rear and has the Z82 trailoring pkg. Trucks GVWR is 9210lbs (3k frt 6k rear). I have 10ply Toyo MT on 16"GMC forged wheels. Will I have a lot of squat? Is this a safe configuration? Should I buy airbags? Any other info would be appriciated because this is new territory for me. Thanks!!!!

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: To the site....With the Truck you have,you should be fine.A 3/4 with a Duramax & 3.73's ,you may get some Squat.But Air Bags would be a Very Good addition,for Handling & Towing something to keep in mind??.....I Tow a boat, I will Not Tow without Air Bags ever Again.The Truck Handles & Ride's So much better with the bags,went I'm towing than before.It has been 1 of the Best Mods I could have put on my Truck....As far as Air Bags go the 2 to look at would be Air Lift and Firestone,with having a 3/4, if you do get air bags get the 5,000lb Bags.

3. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my mom pulls a 43' fifth wheel horse trailer with her 2500 duramax, it squatted a little so she had an extra leaf spring put on each side, now the thing sits a mile high in the rear and feels like you're riding on the frame when the trailer isn't hooked up but when she's pulling it rides like a dream. I think you'd be fine with the stock. congrats on the new buy and looking fwd to seeing lots of pics!

4. Zorro

Zorro New Member

Thanks for the info. I see firestone airbags are around $250. The compressor would be nice but it's another $250! Is there any tips on setting up airbags? They look to be no drill bolt-on units.

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here are step by step instructions from Air Lift,to show you what is involved in mounting Air Bags,

http://airlift.iwebcat.com/imgVD/AIL/MN-324_59501.pdf