1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slide pin frozen in caliper 05 yukon xl

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I took a look at my pads on the front of my yukon xl. They need replaced. The previous owner stripped the head out of the t55 torqs slide pin. I tried everything I could think of. Heat, not enough to melt the piston boots. I cut the head with a hacksaw and tried for 40 minutes to beat it with a 5 pound hammer and chisel attempting to get it to break loose. I disconnected the brake line and slid the caliper out and tried to heat it and turn the pin with a pair of vise grip. I used a large pair of channel locks to close the vise grips, so I thought that they had a good grip. But, they slipped right off. Any suggestions? I am picking up a new caliper tonight, but it would be nice not to pay $55 for a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, another question that I would like to get thoughts on. I was thinking that a gravity bleed would suffice when I change the caliper as I don't have anyone to pump the brakes to help me bleed them. Thoughts?
  2. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

As much as you might hate it, your best bet is to replace calipers. Remember, with brakes, what you do to one side you need to do to the other. You will probably develope a brake pull if you replace just one caliper. Also, a gravity bleed is not enough, you need to bleed the brakes. There are "one man" brake bleeding kits and not expensive at all. Hope this helps.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Agreed, Kinda sucks having to do both, but probably best. I understand not wanting to spend much but also remember brakes are one thing you wanna make sure are working well otherwise you could have one of these moments :gasp:.

Also they sell one man (I know not PC) bleeders as you will need that over gravity bleeding.
  4. Pikey

I would replace both, but unfortunately this month that is not going to happen. If it developes a pull I will replace the other side asap. I will try to get a neighbor to help me bleed it tonight.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You could get a vacume bleeder, they dont require an extra person to pump the brakes.
    I have a Mighty Mite that I use all the time for brake jobs, it's much easier than trying to find someone to pump the brakes for me.
  6. Pikey

I will be buying a harbor freight cheapy in the near future. I did a gravity bleed. Then, I talked my very pregnant and tired wife out to the garage. It was pretty easy once I said something about the boys' safety! Anyway, I got one or two small air bubbles the first time I cracked it open. After that I had no are during the next 10 tries. I took it for a ride and it is not pulling. I hope to replace the other caliper and the rotors pretty soon, I believe that the rotors are original because they still have the factory hold down washers on them. I have never seen new rotors come with them or anyone buy them to replace them. The truck has 140,000 miles on it.
  7. dsfloyd

glad you got it all fixed up.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I always replace the factory hold downs on the rotors, and no one else I know does either lol!! Check out the Russell speed bleeders, I replaced all of my bleeders with these. Summit Racing has them for $9.99 a set.
  9. dsfloyd

Those look nice. I always drag my wife out there to pump brakes. My kids getting old enough to where I might have to start making her do it. Maybe I'll change them out with these and then still make them come out to do it, so I can just lay under there:rofl: