Slippage In Reverse?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, May 12, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, 2002 Silverado with 5.3 z71 package. Put it in reverse to park the cattle trailer, it shows that its in reverse. Give it a little gas, truck does not move at all, no rocking no clunking no nothing, it just raises the RPM. Has happened a few times when I'm just going in reverse, i get the RPM to around 1,500 and i stop, let it idle. then release the brake and give it gas again, it goes to 1,200 and then catches, and spins the tires(gravel and grass and stone surface). This is very concerning, there's been alot of things wrong with my truck thus far(january), and this is only adding to my bill. Also, when i turned my truck on today, i had in the display thing(can't remember what its called, but it shows your "Change Engine Oil" in orange) Well as i was saying, it said "Service 4WD" or "Service 4x4" for less then two seconds. Then it went away. Drove it away for a block or two. Started it back up. And it didn't say anything.

I'm needing to go get my codes read very badly i guess. There's a bunch of other problems with my truck too, some ticking when i start my truck and drive it for a bit, until i romp on the gas. Then it's gone, just did a full oil change. Did it before oil change, and still after.

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No one got any idea's on whats happening with my truck?

3. japsmash2001

japsmash2001 Member

Are you the original owner? An accident or abuse might have caused the shift cable to be out of alignment. Go underneath the truck and have an assistant move the selector from park to reverse and mark the relationship to a reference point. Then remove the shift cable and shift it from park to reverse without the shift cable attached. If it has changed, then an alignment of the shift cable or replacement of the cable is indicated. You get the idea.

Other then that, visit a trans shop or three and get an opinion WITHOUT

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Continued... leaving the truck with them unattended. It might be an electronic problem or the trans is generating metal and the valve body is clogged up, which might require a rebuild.

In my opinion, if this truck has been lemonious, bite the bullet and fix the problem and get rid of it because the problems are going to continue, why I don't know, but that is the way it is. Look for an old mans truck, those guys are the best to buy trucks from..