1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slow 02 Z71 Build

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Swisher1500, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Swisher1500

Swisher1500 New Member

Well to start off I got my truck back in May and it looked like this. 02 z71 ext cab 5.3, bone stock. 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg
    Then in June I turned 16 and got my first job and I mowed yards on the side. Then I saved up and bought my wheels and tires. 025.jpg
    The next thing I did was replace the rust on the rockers and cab corners then my dad painted it for me. I also shaded my taillights and the bottom front lights. Truck edited.jpg
    Last week I just put in my new stereo, nothing fancy just a pioneer head unit with some kicker speakers in the front, gonna get some for the back with my next paycheck. I am planning on doing a catback dual exhaust with rolled tips, saving for that now but school has started so not working as much and mowing season is coming to an end. Then going to ask for a programmer and CAI for christmas. Then later on going to get a low-profile black toolbox and some foglights. Any other suggestions on what I could do and I need some recommendations for a programmer because I don't know which one I want, my friend had an Edge CS on his 06 and now has an Edge CTS on his 05 D-max and he said he's liked them both but I've also been looking at some others and just need some recommendations. Thanks for looking
  2. Swisher1500

Swisher1500 New Member

Did some little stuff, blacked out my bowtie and put my tow hooks back on, was gonna put a bull bar on I got for free but didn't like the look of it so put them back on.
  3. Swisher1500

Swisher1500 New Member

Got my exhaust today and ended up with catback dual exhuast with rolled tips and no mufflers. So far I love the sound. Will try and get pictures tomorrow.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

awesome looking truck bud!!

Love watching trucks take their owners' personality, keep up the build thread!!:great:
  5. Swisher1500

Swisher1500 New Member

Thanks, I really love my truck and I am doing all I can to make it my own.
  6. Donna02z71

Donna02z71 New Member

nice truck, im 17 and doing same thing as you, just curious what you did to get rid of the rust, any info would be much appreciatated thanks, and the truck is sweet
  7. Swisher1500

Swisher1500 New Member

Well first I ordered the new full length rocker panels and new cab corners, then I cut out the old rusty crap by cutting all the spot welds out of the top and bottom. the cut the edges out to get out the majority of the rocker panel. Then I cleaned up the rest with a cut off wheel. After it was all cleaned up I mated the new rocker panels up and got it all straight, had to do a tiny bit of grinding on the back a little bit to make them fit how I wanted. After it was all straight and clamped in I drilled new spot welds in the metal and welded everything in. I had to put a tiny amount of bondo on the seams to make it look right and across the top where the door seals, then I seam sealed the bottom and got it all closed up nice and tight. Then for the cab corners I cut out the rust and left a little excess metal so I could slightly grind away at it till it had a nice tight fit where I wanted it with the new metal then I welded the new corners in. But do not run beads on these parts, it can get hot and warp the metal or you can see it after you get it all painted if their too heavy of welds, just run tack welds all around on different spots so it doesnt get too hot until it is all welded up, then grind away the excess and put a thin layer of bondo over it and sand it down so it just covers the weld and grinding spots. It was time consuming but it was well worth it and it wasn't just hacked together. After it was all done, me and my dad did the rest of the body work and then he painted it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Got some new pictures with the exhaust and bowtie.
    IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0325.jpg
  8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Very purrty! What kind of rims are those?
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Looks real good.

If I were you I would remove those silly tail light shades. Makes it much harder for someone else to see you at night. I've seen many a car/truck rear ended at night as the person could not see the tail lights.
  10. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

looks good.....great stance with those tires / rim combo.............Brian from Canada