Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

slow speed abs problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ippielb, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

abs is kicking in at just below 10mph, it's a brand new sensor, and i have taken it off and filed the mating surface down to clean up any corrosion. 1040 ohms resistance, other side is 1090 ohms.

2002 silverado 1500 4x4 put the truck all back together to figure out that the problems not solved. unplugged the abs fuse for now.

2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Are the bearings in the hub OK?......Many times a bad hub causes the ABS to do that

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Generally when an abs sensor goes bad or need to be replaced it is because of a bad hub. A bad bearing inside can cause the sensing wheel to be too close or too far from the sensor. The best way to diagnose or fix your issue is to find someone with a scan tool capable of graphing abs sensor output. The you can see which one is reading zero while the others are still reading that the truck is moving.

4. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

This is the same problem my 99 sierra 2500 has. I removed the abs fuse for now but I need to replace it before winter. Is timkin still a recommended brand for our hub assemblies or have their quality fallen?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

first thing is I do not recommend replacing the wheel sensors unless they are damaged from not being properly wire routed.

the wheel hub sensors are matched and calibrated to the hub assy. the last time I installed I used timken . these have a 2 yr warranty . so far no problems. many have had problems with the other chinese made crap so stay away from those .. hubs cost 175 USD last time I looked but they work.

until you replace these hubs remove the big 60A ABS fuse...you will not stop if you keep that fuse in....

to determine which one remove the sensor the grease need be a blue if rusty brown the hub is junk.

next measure the voltage [NOT RESISTANCE] rotate the hubs by hand at a good rate and see that you get more than .3 volts AC... new hub assy will show more than .5 volts AC... this is good .3 volts AC and lower is bad and the hub is junk..

what happens is the OEM hubs used chinese steel on the bearing seal. the seal up here in rust country causes these seals to allow water and road salt to attack the bearings.. then the rusted grease causes the sensor to be blind because it is a magnet and the rust is picked up on the sensor end causing low/no voltage to be produced when the hub/wheels rotate.. this is another GM screw up.. should have had a recall that replaced these hubs ,, not the dirty rusted sensor cleaning that many have been tricked into this hub filing as the cure...[including me].........

6. ippielb

Tested the voltage on sensor and it was showing .3 when i rotated it as fast as i could. Changed the sensor with a new one(had a spare lying around), shaved more off the surface. And the abs still kicks in. Guess I have to get a new hub. I inspected the teeth while I had the sensor off and there was no visible damage. Very frustrated.

7. j cat

again the sensor is not the problem ...................the problem is the rusty grease !

8. ippielb

Grease is still like new. I'm just going to buy a new bearing and throw it on.

9. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

There is a third sensor behind the trans somewhere I believe. My problem is the bearings for sure as one of them has nasty looking grease.

10. j cat

if the grease is blue I would be very surprised if the hub is bad...

however a good voltage reading is .5volts or more.. .3 volts AC is just barely gonna do it..too low for me..