Slow windows

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TheChadders, Jan 6, 2009.

1. TheChadders

TheChadders Member

Alright so i just recently got an 04 gmc sierra and i noticed that the windows are ungodly slow at moving up or down. :neutral:

Like seriously it seemed like 2 min had gone by, by the time the window finally rolled down in the drive through!! Are the windows normally this slow? and or is there any way to increase the speed at which they go up or down?(very unlikely but possibility)

2. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

I hate to make this suggestion, but, besides obvious - regulators motors going bad/possible increased resistance in the power supply, resulting in low voltage on motors - you sure that truck was not in an accident? bent guides, you know....

try spraying slicone lubricant into rubber guides in the windows.

i'd take door panel off and check regulator plug voltage. but i had both of mine go bad, almost same time, at roughtly 60K miles.

3. Trask215

Trask215 Rockstar 100 Posts

I just had to have a window regulator cable replace on my '01 silverado, the old one broke and so my window would no longer roll up. It seems that since i had it replaced the window seems to move alot faster.

4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Now, back in theday, the previous GMC/Chevy trucks on the motors had a threaded screw with a 1/2" nut that was used to hold the screw in place so it did not move. You would be able to lossen the nut and adjust the threaded screw in or out, this would increase/decrease the speed of the window. Now, I have NOT had to perform this repair to a window in a long time, the 1993 GMC S15 Jimmy I owned, had this feature, I used it on it when the window fell to the bottom of the door due to the window stop rusting away and the rubber bumper not being place the day the window fell.
    So, this still may be a possibility, the tracks may have become gritty and need greased(they do) and the window seal as stated could now be extremely dirty and need to lubed as well. So, did this happen over night or has this problem been coming gradually? If so, I believe the motor is weakening and will need to be replaced......So here you go, a lot to think about....
    Jeff

5. Never Enough

Never Enough Rockstar 100 Posts

Its very common for the motors/regulators to go bad on these trucks.

6. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

dude, i got the exact same truck as you, and my passenger one is about to go out....so slow...my drivers one is fine though. and i have like 58,800 miles. weird...