Small block cam advice

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by BurbanMan, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Ok guys. I'm thinking about putting a mild can in my engine before I put it in the truck. I don't want anything radical, just mild. I want to keep a little fuel mileage anyway. If I can improve mileage, AWESOME! Lol I won't get my hopes up. I have to do better than 10hwy
    Here's the summit results. Help pick me out a cam via part number. How are the summit kits?

http://m.summitracing.com/search/de...72/engine-size/5-7l-350?toggleResults=display

I don't know anything about picking cams to be completely honest. My dad always handled that department growing up

Vehicle info:
    90 gmc suburban
    1972 block (internally OE, TBI an intake being ported and 1" spacer being used.)
    Heads stock OE
    Gears- unknown (will update when I figure it out) how do I find out without removing diff cover?
    700r4 trans (4wd)
    Tire size is currently 235/75/15. Will change to 31's or 33's later
    Plans are for towing and daily driving

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

You want a cam with very little overlap, a little higher lift, and average duration. Read http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/4916/choosing_a_replacement_camshaft.aspx for some good tips about choosing what you want.

Exhaust also matters, are you running stock manifolds, or aftermarket headers? Long tubes or shorties? Long tubes will take away from low end torque.

You could also improve the search on Summit, by adding the "Camshaft usage" filter as "Truck." The 4x4 cams listed in there will probably work well for you, as cams designed for 4x4 trucks are usually ground with low end torque in mind.

Also, if you drive in 4WD mode a lot, you should switch to 2WD for normal driving if you can. With 4WD on, you're sacrificing some power, to be able to get it all to the ground, so you lose a little MPG.

3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Thanks dobey! I dont drive in 4wheel often just when it's been pouring like two cows pissing on a flat rock as most of the driveways we travel on are dirt and around a 1/4mi in length