1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMART Car destroyed after hitting a large insect? (Photos)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, this is supposed to be a steel frame car, but I like my legs too much to ever drive one of these.

I saw this car parked in a local parking lot and just can't help but wonder what they hit and how hard they were going. Also, what is that bra type of thing they have on the front end? I assume that they taped it together so they could still drive it but not repair it properly?

20130821_113241.jpg 20130821_113305.jpg 20130821_113306.jpg
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

When you sit in them you sit more like a truck Sitting up not with your legs out in front much,, A higher seat
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We had a smart car dealer here for a few years. It is gone now. What was really dumb is that it was located on a very busy road with a speed limit of 55mph. Most people drive 60mph+ on that stretch. I don't know how many times I saw one of those almost get crushed by a 2500 truck towing a trailer. You would pull out of the dealer and have to drive up and incline. The cars did not have enough power to merge into the flow of traffic. You could pass people in the car on a test drive and see them just white knuckling the steering wheel hoping that they did not get smashed.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The Smart ONLY made sense when it had the 3 cyl TD and got 60+ mpg hy-and maybe 35 mpg city.
    Of course we-USA never got that version.

What would anyone pay almost Spark money-4 passenger car-gettting 80% of the MPG of a smart-
    for a SMART??
    They were trying to get almost $13000 for a 2 passenger car-with no Home Depot potential
    Only if you lived in a place city really tough to park would it make sense
    Plus Dodge and Fiat have decent enough 4 passenger cars for roughly the same $$-Ford and Chevy too
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yeah not sure why the diesel thing didnt really hold in the states. VW did it for a while then I think CA stopped certifying them for CA emissions. I know diesels are finally making a come back in the small motor arena.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the Smart was priced at $10,000 or so\
    and you did almost all city driving
    might make some sense
    The 3 cylinder TD like you say-would have cost too much to get by the EPA regs
    Not much point in trying to sell a $18000 2 passenger car economy car with such limitations
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, look at the picture, the cage/cab was not affected so the people were safe and that is what they claim. I think they make good beach balls for 2 pickups out having fun.

And apparently with that much damage, they are still able to drive it around... oh well.
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Maybe the Smart was too big for the owner and they tried to make it even smaller.

That, or some kid's basketball bounced off the front of it.
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Trailer hitch on lifted truck maybe? If I were to get a economy car, it would be the new diesel cruz. 800 miles per tank! My neighbor who works for GM keeps talking about, or maybe she is in sales and is trying to brain wash me lol.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

No. Damage isn't tall enough. Had to be a low rider. Lol