1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smart Phone vehicle Apps

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How many have downloaded the My Chevrolet/GMC/Buick/Caddilac apps for their smart phone?
    Theres also an "On Star remote link" and "Chevy Mobile Work bench" apps.

I got a nice little surprise earlier tonight when I downloaded the "My Chevrolet" and "On-Star remote link".
    I already knew my new truck was pre loaded with remote start and if I wanted it on the truck I'd need to go to the dealer and have them program the computer and sync a set of key fobs to activate the function but when I registered my truck for My Chevrolet and On Star remote I found out quite accidently I could lock/un-lock my doors, check fuel level and tire pressure status, and start my truck remotely with my Droid phone.
    A screen comes up that looks just like the remote start capable key fobs and you press the buttons in the same sequence to start, door lock twice then engine start for 3 seconds.
    Now I wont need to go to the dealer unless I really feel the need to have a remote start key fob.
    I also found out my truck was Blue Tooth capable and has the Mobile Wi Fi hot spot hardware with a free 6 month trial period. Probably wont use the WiFi much but Blue Tooth will come in handy.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I ripped OnStar out of my truck as their privacy policy is for the birds. I have an aftermarket alarm and didn't do a remote start app for my droid with it because such an app is useless in an area without reliable mobile service ... which is where I often find myself 2 days out of every 7.
  3. tbplus10

Luckily here in DFW were in one of the best service areas for phone service, Verizon has it's home offices locally and they dont want to get outdone by AT&T so they each keep trying to one up each other with capability and connections, the result is we get great service.
    I refuse to worry about On Star's privacy policy, theres to many other companies trying to give far more of my information away than On Star. Heck theres companies out there I havent even used that are selling my personal information. Until the goverment gets tough on them and makes them stop were all gonna have privacy issues.
  4. SurrealOne

That's true only for those who haven't actively controlled who has information about them from the get-go.
  5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Now if it will just give you free onstar after the first year.
    This app is like the ones that guys are using while you shop. When you lock your doors electronically it sends a trap able signal that others in the know can pick up and copy . They wait till you go into the mall then simply unlock your vehicle and take what they like.
    It is being advised that you lock your doors manually rather from an electronic device.
    As far as onstar and their 200 dollar a year fee, I can do without. They use scare tactics to convince folks to pay up, but I don't buy into that crap
  6. tbplus10

I know its not the conventional wisdom but I figure if they can get it open electronically let'em take it, it's cheaper in the end and I dont have to replace a busted window and tore up interior that normally cost much more, I've got good insurance. Dont get me wrong though if I catch them there will be hell to pay!! I'm not a pushover I just dont want a lot of hassle, theres always gonna be some tool taht thinks it easier to steel than to work and it's only a matter of time before your belongings catch his eye.
  7. SurrealOne

There's nothing in my truck worth dying for...
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I really like the idea of an app do things to the truck and the features it has, but for me security is a bigger concern so I guess I won
    t use it and it was not available on my truck....

On Star was optional the year my truck came out and I am in most cases, glad it does not have On Star..... We get tracked enough as it is.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup all good points and it comes down to how each feels to use the knowledge and technology as he/she sees fit.
    Me I am just a simple man trying to survive the best and longest I can.