1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smittybil Nerf Steps PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jdennis44, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jdennis44

jdennis44 New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 2010 black crew cab Z71 and it has just a 2" leveling kit on it but i have 33s and 20" rims...my question is i just ordered and installed the smittybilt nerf steps.. the ones with the smaller bar that sits close to the cab and has the little step that comes out...i can not decide if i like them or not. does anyone have these and what is everybody elses opinion on them? i will upload a pic as soon as it stops raing enough for me to take one. they just seem to not sit quite close enough to the cab in my opinion....
  2. troutbug

troutbug Member

This may sound like a stupid question, but were you wanting them for a step or for protection of your rocker panels? If the latter, I think they make bars that are specifically for guarding your rocker panels. They sit snug right up near the body. If the former, do you mean the actual step hangs too low, or the whole thing overall? It seems like it should hang down somewhat or it would defeat the purpose of having a step. I don't have the same kind as you, but mine don't hang any lower than the frame of the truck.
  3. jdennis44

jdennis44 New Member

no thats not a dumb question but yes i wanted them as a step. but since you brought it up i was actually hoping they would fit like the rock sliders that protect your rockers and have a step that extends off of them.

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/61A4999A0A0.aspx

here is a link to the ones i ordered and they do not fit as close to my truck as they appear to fit to the titan in the picture with them.

Thanks.
  4. troutbug

troutbug Member

Just a thought...I'm not sure how the frame is on the Titan, but I can tell you this: I have a 1500 and my dad has a 2500HD. We basically have the same steps (Westin-style round tubes), but his appear to hang lower from the rocker panels than mine do. It's probably only a 1/2" to 3/4" difference, but noticeable. The frame on his truck (HD) is taller than the standard 1/2 ton frame, and there probably is a difference in the distance from the 'mounting cups' to the bottom of the rocker panel (I haven't actually measured it).
    With this in mind, I'm sure there is a difference in that same measurement between a Titan and a Silverado/Sierra. It may sit more snug on the Titan. In the meantime you can google your steps and silverado and search the images to see if others look the same as yours.