1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smog pump

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by IronMan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. IronMan

IronMan New Member

Hi all,

I posted this in the new member introduction forum when I first signed up, didn't think about looking for other specific forums - oops. But the question still remains, with one additional question. Can I legally remove the pump, and if so, how do I keep the ECM from throwing a fault or afecting the performance of the engine?

I have a 1998 GMC 2500 3/4 w/ 7.4l (will get pics up soon).

Last week I got a check engine light and borrowed a code reader to see whats up. Ended up with 2 codes: P0141 - O2 sensor heater cicuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2; P1415 manufacturer control auxillary emission control. After resetting the faults, only he P1415 keeps coming back.

It's for the air pump, or smog pump as some call it. Everything appears to be working normally, it comes on when the engine is cold and kicks out after a short while. The diverter valve also looks good according to the Haynes manual test procedure.

Somehow, I don't think that the pump is the reason for the faults, maybe a bad O2 sensor - emmisions related problems are hard to diagnose from my past experience.

Anyways, if somebody has some past experience with this or any clues, I would appreciate it since I need to pass DEQ by the end of the month.

Thanks alot.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Edit Post [​IMG] Reply [​IMG] Reply With Quote [​IMG] Blog this Post
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Does it actually come on strong? because GMs had a problem with moisture getting in them and causing the motors to get messed up. And there is no way to remove it and "trick" the PCM.
  3. IronMan

IronMan New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by come on strong. It is belt driven with a clutch like the AC compressor. It engages on demand, I'm guessing when the O2 sensor reads emissions are too high.

I read on here where some guys have removed it from older vehicles. So I don't think you need to trick the PCM, since there aren't any sensors or feedback from it. Just one wire that engages the clutch - that's it.
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

No you can't remove it if you want to pass inspection at the end of the month. There is a physical inspection as well as the sniffer test. If they see a big void where your smog pump used to be, they'll just kick your azz around the block with a big FAIL sign hung around your neck.
    The reason some get away with taking the smog stuff off is because their cars/trucks are old & DEQ doesn't regulate them anymore, & also some of them don't live in DEQ mandated zones or states.