1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smoking brakes.....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Enkeiavalanche, Sep 20, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So on my way home today I smell a Fowl oder.. I stop at a light and see smoke coming from my drivers side front wheel.. Well I get home and I can see and feel the heat coming from my wheel. Not good.....I did the SSBC big rotor kit about a month ago with no problems.. Anyway I took off the wheel tonight and saw a Blueish looking rotor and that the new pads I put on were almost shot... I will have it looked at Wed...

Any ideas? By the way after they cooled off and with the truck lifted I could spin the wheel fine..
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats pretty odd? Possible your caliper locked up after hitting the breaks on time. Thats my only guess. But then again that doesn't really explain the ability to spin it freely other than that the pad is burnt through so after that it may not be making contact when you hit the breaks anyways.
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've had brake pads wear really fast when i first got my truck off the lot in 2008 brand new but never smoked and they ended up wearing uneven and had shaking and light grinding and a fowl smell. I think the brake pads were a bad batch or they weren't installed perfectly. I hate installing brake pads though lol!
  4. Enkeiavalanche

After I took off the wheel ar 9pm.. I looked at the pads and 1 did look a bit low and as I said they are only 2 months old.. I know I drive it like a Vette but .... Well I will have it looked at today...
  5. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

Check out your caliper boots and the slide pins and make sure everything is working properly. if the rubber boots around the caliper piston look worn or are sticking for some reason, replace the caliper. The caliper pins need to be greased up to allow the pads to slide with the pistons. Hope this will help.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

yep did all of that and after a week so far they are fine..The rears go on Thur.. thanks...