1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

snow chains

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by breid19, Oct 14, 2009.

1. breid19

breid19 New Member

I just bought a 2008 gmc savana cargo van. When reading the manual it states that if the van was supplied with 245-75r16 tires (which mine was) to not use tire chains.... but if you could find an alternate traction device to follow the manufacture's recommendations.

Has anyone had any success with tire chans/ cables with this vehicle.

Thanks

Bill
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have used chains on my K2500 plow truck. Chains are awesome.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check your local laws as most states they are illegal!!
  4. breid19

breid19 New Member

Thanks,

Locally they are not allowed but I will be travelling to "snow country" (colorado/utah/california) to do some skiing this winter and I will be towing a camper trailer. I'm just worried about getting stuck in some parking lot with the trailer.
  5. 2COR517

How big of a camper? W/D hitch? You want the best chains that will physically fit. Just because the manual doesn't recommend them, doesn't mean they won't fit. Get under there and look around.
  6. breid19

breid19 New Member

17' camper c/w WD hitch. I have slacked the torsion bars to gain more traction when needed getting up loose gravel hills in the past.
  7. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Not recommended due to clearance issue between tires & wheel well. The trailer will even make it worse. I would recommend M+S tire that is ready for studs but bring studs with you if needed.
  8. 2COR517

Have you looked to see how much clearance you have? At the very least, you should be able to get some cables on there.