1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

snow plow help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Rickroz, Nov 11, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Rickroz

Rickroz New Member

I'm interested in installing a plow on my gmc sierra 4x4 2008 5.3 liter extended cab but I'm concerned that it's not equipped For snow removal. can anybody breakdown what exactly I need to be looking for as far is my vin number? And if its not plow ready, is it possible? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I assume that your truck is a half-ton pickup.

Plowing is a stressful activity for your truck, but what are you talking about? Doing your driveway and Street (light duty) a few times in the winter? Or something much more involved?

Just about any truck can plow ... Just have to weight it properly, but a heavier truck, and a heavier duty frame will handle it easier with less long term stress.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you are going to plow with a 1500 there are a few things you need to know:

Plowing is hell on your frame

Make sure the plow and mount you get is built for a 1500. You don't want to have a plow meant for a HD truck because it will put added stress on your truck than it want built for. Also the 1500 plow kits tend to be lighter and distribute the load better for the lighter duty truck.

You will need a bigger than stock alternator because a plow pump can draw close to 250 amps during normal operation.

You need to find out the Front GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) of your truck to see if it can even hold a plow.

You likely wont be able to plow much more than what [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION] described, driveways and small parts of the street. Likely if you get more than a foot your truck wont be able to move the snow much and it will put extreme stress on the frame.

The added weight of a plow and plow mount will cause faster suspension wear on the front of the truck so be ready for that.
  4. Rickroz

Rickroz New Member

Thanks you guys. I was considering the plow for my personal driveway, but it seems like i may be better off buying a beater with a plow.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

the rpo code in the glove or the plow prep package is VYU. If your truck has that code then you are set. Mostly as mentioned above they include a larger alternator, a duel battery set up, and trans cooler. The 1500's dont really like plows! I plowed for a friend for many years that had over 40 trucks. The f150's and 1500 silverados had a workout in the front suspension because of the plows. The f250, f35, 2500, 3500 trucks handled it no problem. If you are going to buy a plow, don't buy one of those cheap ones from home depot/ lowes. The type that you get out and change the direction yourself. I have seen many of those fold right under a truck in 3" of snow.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

the 2007 on up 1500 trucks with the strut springs I would not think about plowing. as mentioned you would need a light weight plow. I have seen some made of fiberglass type material. problem is they break easy. most plow trucks are 2500 on up .reason is weight and traction.. with a heavy truck and the bed with sand bags you can do some good plow work.

I would get a snow blower if you have a paved drive. snow blow works great. with huge amounts of snow and proper planing you will have a nice wide driveway..

with a plow the driveway gets smaller after each snow fall...

my friend who lives up on the mountain has a 6 foot snow blower hooked up to the tractor drive...two passes and its done. throws snow 40 ft..[no snow banks]

my drive is 60 ft so the 10 hp snow blower works great for me in the hill country..

the guy on the mountain first thought his truck could plow his drive ..well after the first winter that was the end of that idea..
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do you know what I like about a snowblower, or a shovel, you can remove all of the snow. After I clean the driveway, I'm down to the pavement, a little sun the next day and the driveway is bare.

Use a plow truck and the snow gets packed under the wheels and the pavement disappears for the rest of the winter.
  8. ChevyFan

Each has their place. If you have a long stretch of road to clear out then you can't beat a plow. Growing up in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho we had our share of snow.

My grandfather had a bobcat that his neighbors loved him for. He had it up at his rv resort and brought it home for the winters. Cleared off the driveway, the cul-de-sac, and the sidewalks in the winter with the standard bucket. Not a great tool for a 2 mile long road though. But a snow thrower will do the best job (I've done a long driveway with one for like 6 years) for a small area.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

I live on a half mile dirt/gravel driveway. I installed a 8' western snowplow on my 1500. While offs not ideal, the truck handles it very well. The stock alternator is.strong enough to power the setup. My lights dim while moving the controls but not enough to drain the battery or leave me stranded. I plowed through a dozen storms last winter and never once had trouble with being under powered or struggling to move the snow. I take my time and baby the truck with the plow on. When I push into a pile I will set the gear to neutral, let it roll to where its comfortable then change gears.

All the above.advise is true, but if you need it to get the job done it will work.
    IMAG0712.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  10. ChevyFan

Good looking snow pic. I remember snow like that. Spokane averaged over 4 feet of snow and the snow banks some years would in some years be over 6 or 7 feet high.

Sometimes I wonder, living in Texas, what memories my kids are going to have of their childhood. Walking to school in the snow isn't going to be one of them.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013