Snow Plow on 2013 Silverado Z71?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hunter9499, Feb 19, 2014.

1. hunter9499

hunter9499 New Member

I am looking to put a plow on my "13" Silverado Z71 and I am wondering if anyone has done it yet and if so what setup did you use and what modifications did you have to do?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't have one on one of my trucks. But, I have plowed for a friends large snow removal company for over 15 years. From my experience the best plows out there are the boss V plows. I know that the boss plows do not take many modifications to install. He has over 40 trucks some old and some new. Every new truck he buys gets a boss plow installed. He recently bought a truck with a Western V plow on it. While it is a nice plow, the controls stink. They are just not user friendly. They are by far the most dependable that I have seen. They are also easy for one person to put the plow on and take it off alone. I would say that whatever you end up with make sure that it has a controller that is hand held. The plows that have dash mount controls hurt your back after a while. It is much nicer to sit back with your arm on the arm rest and the controller in your hand, rather than leaning forward to get to the dash mounted controls.

3. hunter9499

hunter9499 New Member

I have been looking at the Western V plow and the Boss plow.The weight difference is that the Boss is heavier than the Western. Did they have to cut the bumper or add helpers to the front end? As far as the controls the handheld is the way to go.

4. redvett

redvett Member 100 Posts

If the OP does not have a #2500 he is taking big chances, the drive line.chassis isnt up to plowing. Trans,transfercase failure is oncomming.

5. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If your in a 1/2 ton(1500) the sno-way poly plows are nice.. Wireless handheld control, no wires into the cab. about 80lbs. lighter than steel blade and can have down pressure that IMO works better than floating the heavy blade.. Ive had mine 7 winters now and love it.. But I dont plow commercially either so depends on what your looking to do with it.

6. hunter9499

hunter9499 New Member

I have been looking at a few plows, I only have a few driveways to do and I can do most of it in 2 wheel drive depending on how much and what kind of snow. The nice thing about it is that I am the first owner of the truck and will be the first owner of the plow. And I DO NOT LET ANYONE BUT ME DRIVE IT!!! LOL

7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would get a 2500 this has the torsion bars so you can get the proper height . these NNBS 2007-2014 1500 trucks are not built to plow ... you may need to use spacers to jack up the front end and install bigger/stronger springs to handle to load.

8. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a Western plow on my 2011 1/2 ton. Works great and truck still looks good with plow off. Just remember to turn off traction control when plowing to avoid drivetrain problems.

9. lovesbikes61

lovesbikes61 New Member

I have good things about the Boss's also...
    A co-worker plows our lot at work, he has a Blizzard plow, said he's never had a problem with it.
    On a 1500 - BUT, he does not plow commercially, just our work(small lot) and his and 2 of his neighbors.
    I'm with redvett, if you do it with a halfie, troubles are a 'comin!

10. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

Dont destroy your nice new truck with a plow! Especially if you aren't gonna do much with it buy an older truck for plowing needs.