1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Snow Plow

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Restlessone, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

Is there any way to know if a vehicle has been used as a snow plow vehicle?
    Also can anyone shed some in-site into what a noise is in a vehicle.? It is a 2005 GMC sierra K1500 with 128,000 KM (80,000 miles). When you pull away from a light there is an occasional clunk like something in the bed has rolled back and hit the tail gate. It is most frequent when you go from auto to 2 wheel. There is also a noise as you go around a corner to the left, sounds like the same noise but more like a chatter.
    Gordon
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

does the noise sound like it's coming from transfer case or rear end? it could be something as simple as a u- joint.
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed, the sound may just be some extra play in the U-joint.

The chattering sound could be the front axles as well, do you have a split open boot on one of the fronts?
  4. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

I don't think it's the U joint. That would be a much more consistent noise. This only happens every once and while although it is that kind of noise.
    Thanks or the replies.
  5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are there any consistent circumstances that the noise occurs under?
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a similar sound on my '94 Sierra, sounds like a u-joint clunk but completely random. turned out to be the shift fork in the transfer case, the nylon slides had worn out causing metal to metal wear , this allowed the gears to slide around and the clunk was the result of this movement. I found this out after numerous trips to dealer, a new tranny(which obviously wasn't the problem) and then complete failure, the transfer case got stuck in neutral on I-95 just outside of D.C. ..... not fun! Anyway I'm not sure how the transfer cases have changed over the years but it's just a thought based on one of my experiences! :neutral:
  7. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Turning left could that be a wheel bearing? not sure about the clunking
  8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I Have this noise also randomly. There was another post about this and the slip yoke was mentioned to be the culprit. They said to try regreasing the yoke and see if it goes away. I am do for an oil change and I am just waiting for decent weather to tackle both at the same time.

The left turn noise is probably the brake pads chattering. This is common if the anti rattle clips are broken or loose. You'll hear it alot from front wheel drive cars and is easily mistaking for a cv joint. But as with trucks bigger parts make bigger noises so it may sound worse than it really is.