1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Snow plow??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jow003, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jow003

jow003 New Member

I have a '09 Silverado and I'm looking for any info about putting a snow plow on it. Mainly will it screw up anything else, paint, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated, I just moved to Colorado from Louisiana and have next to nothing when it comes to snow driving experience.

Thanks
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Driving in the snow is hazardous to your vehicle even without a plow attached. The typical unit plugs into a front receiver hitch. You might want to try driving a season without the plow before you decide to add that to the truck.
    [​IMG]
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

How are you gonna handle the cold? I mean, I get cold in Feb. when the wind blows, lol. Where from in LA did you move? I lived in Pearl River for 20 years, and now I'm temporarily located in Baton Rouge.
  4. jow003

jow003 New Member

I lived about 4 hours north in Ruston while I went to college.

As far as handling it, I dont know, I'm glad my truck came with the remote start so hopefully that will help with getting ice off. As for me, I have a feeling I will have to invest in alot more cold weather gear than I needed down south.

To make it worse (and I think sickly ironic) the job I'm lookin at is an over night security job, so I'm gonna be REAL cold.
  5. Padre

Padre New Member

I just put a Boss 8' Super Duty on my 09 2500HD. I had it professionally installed. The plow, install and everything was $3800.00. It's a sweet set-up.

The only problem with it is that they had to cut the front lower plastic cowl to have the receiver unit put on.
  6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

ugh, I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it...
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

How much plowing do you intend to do? What's your typical snowfall, and does it come in big storms?
  8. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Unless they changed it, if it is not at least a 1500HD you WILL void your warranty if you install a plow on it. Only trucks that are equiped from the factory with a plow package does GM consider plowable. Which is a 1500HD or heaver. Any 2500 or 3500 can have a plow attached and not void the factory warranty, but not a standard 1500 model.
    I just didnt want you to find out the hard way is all.( Not trying to talk you out of doing it.) But I would strongly suggest you give your dealership a call where you bought it and ask if it will kill your warranty.
    Good luck to you. I live in the Buffallo NY area..so I am used to cold and snow.<LAUGH> But still.. I am NOT looking forward to it again this year.:grrrrrr:
  9. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

Ya a plow is not recommended on a 1500. There are a few out there that are small and light weight that a 1500 can handle but I don't think I would do it.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

In full function plows, there are several brands/models suitable for use on your truck. Douglass Dynamics manufactures the Fisher HT, and the Western HTS. I'm not sure if there is an equivilant Blizzard model or not. Sno-Way plows are very lightweight, and would be ideal.

You can also get a Snowbear. They are very light duty, and you cannot change the angle from inside the cab.