Snow Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by LBAR1, Nov 1, 2012.

1. LBAR1

LBAR1 Member

Looking for some recommendations on snow tires, I've got an 07 GMC 1500 rwd so let me know what you guys have used with success and what else you've done to the truck to help get around in the snow. Thanks in advance.

2. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

I love BF Goodrich All Terrains.. Really aggressive looking tread, and I've always had awesome traction with them.

As far as what I do to get around in the snow? I put it in 4x4 drive... But if that's not an option for you, put some weight in the back. When I had my 2wd in the snow because my 4x4 was in the shop, I used to put some weight in the back over the rear axle. If you're handy, you can build a "brace" to keep it where you want to, with some wood.

- - - Updated - - -

There was another time it was snowed when it wasn't supposed to, and turned out to be a blizzard... The guy who was plowing our work lot was using a backhoe. He was a friend of mine so I asked him to load some snow in the back... He put two buckets full, and my truck went through the snow like a champ.

3. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I got a friend of mine that has some fierce attitudes on his 04-06 pickup and he went through all the snow that he could find the other day and didnt get stuck and he only had it in 2wd. also he has 17s if that makes a difference

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 02 Silverado was 2wd and I just ran Michelin LTX M/S on it. I never had an issue, never got stuck or had any issues going where I wanted. (I frequently travel unplowed, unmaintained dirt roads, with some really steep hills). If we had around 10 inches of fresh snow I would throw 4 or 5 of these over the rear axle. http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...t-masonry/cement/sand-in-a-tube/p-1408372.htm
    They are nice because it is a thick plastic that does not tear easily and they do not slide around. If you need added traction you can cut the bag and throw the sand under your tires. There are other brands out there. But, this was the cheapest for the amount of weight. When I put them in the truck I had no issues, even with Michelin "road" tires. I see no need to purchase separate snow tires unless you live somewhere where you are getting 10 inches of fresh snow daily.

5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I will be getting Michelin LTX Winter tires put on next week and will report back once I've driven those for a while.

I'll be taking my Michelin LTX AT tires off the 'burb until spring. They aren't especially heavily siped, and while a great tire for summer use they slide on ice.

6. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i run nothing but wrangler duratracs on my 08 and i got michelin LTX on my 2001 2500hd plow truck. i got 4 5 gallon buckets filled with sand in the pan of my truck and drives perfect in 2wd plus i got sand for when i need it.

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i had really good luck with firestone destination A/Ts. had those on my first truck and drove thru some pretty thick stuff with em without any problems.

just my .01 worth.

8. Discovery

Discovery New Member

I just put the firestone Winterforce on,went out today and drove on the icy/packed snow and they did well for being so cheap.
    [​IMG]

9. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

None of the tires other posters have recommended are snow tires.

To be sure, these tires -- Michelin LTX A/T, Firestone Destination A/T, B F Goodrich A/T, Michelin LTX M/S -- are all great tires and they all do OK in snow, especially deep snow. But they're not snow tires. They're all-season tires.

Snow tires (or winter tires, as the manufacturers now like to call them), have softer tread compound and more sipes than any of these. Blizzak, LTX Winter, Firestone Winterforce, General Altimax Arctic -- those are snow tires.

10. LBAR1

LBAR1 Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead but this time I'm looking for summer tires since I have winter tires, no off road and it's for a regular 07 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.8L that I use to drive around town and on the highway and occasional pulling a U-Haul car trailer with a 2800 lbs car loaded on it.