1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Snow Tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ippielb, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, my old Goodyear Wrangler's are almost done for. Barely any tread left on them. So i was looking to get a new set of tires on the rims. The dimensions i have are 285/75r16. I would like to get a 315/75r16 or something similar in size. Not any bigger then that though. These are my winter set, so it needs to do well on ice, and very good in snow(for the play). My friend has 33" BFG AllTerrain, and they work very well and they last a very long time. But i'm looking at getting something different. I was seeing Goodyear Duratrac on a few trucks, and they look really aggressive and have nice tread, but my only concern is do they last? They are a new tire, so will i get any numbers? Here's the tread on the BFG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the DuraTrac's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, main question is, for my search, what's best for me? Anyone have any other suggestions?
  2. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

well just by looking at the pictures the duratrac tires have better side wall bite, wider space between the lugs for better clean out more 'water pumps' and they can accept studs,

if you plan on playing in deeper snow I would go with the duratrac
  3. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have used the older BFG & loved them, I have heard a lot of great things with the new Good years, I actually almost bought them. The more siping(slices) in tire the better for ice & snow, the closer the tread the better for griping in snow(holds snow in tire). I have Hankooks on my truck & they work excellent in the snow.
  4. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks, i would like to hear a few more personal opinions please!
  5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my opinion says go with the duratracs excellent tire with outstanding traction to new to get a mileage estimate but are expected to last 50k, my other suggestion would be the wrangler silent armor less aggressive than the duratrack but comes with a 50k warranty still great snow traction and ice, just put a set on my truck and am happy so far we will see more in the next day or so when this storm hits
  6. Rlee

Rlee Member

Just bought the Duratracs Tuesday! Love these bass turds!!!!!!

They look nasty, they have great bite, they ride good with minimal noise, they are rated as a top contender, they are cheaper than alot of other tires out there.

Downfall is they are near impossible to find! Ordered mine from California last Thursday and they came in this last Tuesday.

I'll be posting up pics here soon so watch for a thread with pics with them!

Check out tirerack.com for the actual ratings and scale on how they perform. They have alot of added features that most don't know about. Like the Snowflake rating, the ability to stud them, curb protector, etc etc etc...
  7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I've always had good luck with MasterCraft tires... I've always used MasterCraft Courset C/T's for winter...

But of your 2 options, I'd go with the DuraTrac's...
  8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I love the BFG AT. One of the greatest tires I have ever used and have seen used. The duratracs have been getting good reviews tho and look very good,
  9. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

definetly go with the all-terrains from BfGoodrich, phenomenal tire
  10. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

I have BFGs and have excellent traction in snow. Been on my truck for 2 yrs now and just passed safety inspection last week.:great: