1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, I got rear ended last weekend...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by zachmilz, Nov 21, 2010.

1. zachmilz

zachmilz Rockstar 100 Posts

I was at a dead stop on a country highway the other day, waiting for a very nice BMW 745Li in front of me to turn onto a side street while traffic was coming and before I knew it, a Kia was in my rearview mirror about 20 feet behind me going about 60 mph and then they slammed on their brakes. It was too late, though. They hit my truck and luckily the BMW floored it and took off before I even knew what was happening. The lady's insurance is paying for the damages to fix my truck and the guy came by on Wednesday to take a look at my truck. I should be getting the check in the mail in the next few days, but now that I know that I'm going to have all of this money that I can do whatever I want with, do you guys think that I should fix my truck back to where it was, or buy two 12" Kicker L7's and a Kicker ZX1500.1? I'm kind of leaning towards the subs and amp and then using the leftover money to just take the big dents out of my truck and then throw on a rollpan and maybe shave my tailgate if I have enough left over. Right now I just have some old 15" sub that a friend gave to me and some Boss amp that's pushing about 300w RMS. I've been wanting to upgrade my sub setup for a long time, and I think that I should now. If you were in my situation, what would you do? Thanks.
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If it were me I would get the truck fixed first, then worry about the subs. But if you're gonna have all of this leftover insurance $$$ then I say yeah, go for the sub and get the roll pan.
  3. zachmilz

I mean, before I buy anything for my sound system, I'm going to get the dents removed, but I really do need a new bed from the accident, but I can deal with it being a little warped and just having the dents taken out. I'll take some pictures of my truck tomorrow with the damage from the wreck and put them up here. I'm just waiting for that check to come in the mail and then once I start getting quotes I guess I'll know what I can do.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First off if your gonna get the truck fixed dont take a check, put it in a shop and let them handle any crap about hidden damages with the ins. co.
    If you decide to take the check and do the repairs yourself I'd do the repairs before you buy any extra stuff, repair money always seems to disappear and before you know it your driving around a dented truck for the next couple years.
  5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on getting a shop to find all the hidden damages.
  6. 01BlackBeauty

01BlackBeauty Member

Also keep in mind that if you accept and cash that check your claim is legally settled. If your repair costs exceed the amount of the check it will be an out of pocket expense. The insurance company will not pick up the tab.
  7. zachmilz

Yeah, I think I'm going to go to a friend's shop and see if he can give me a deal. I'll know how much I got for the damages on Monday, so I'm just hoping that I have about $1,000 left over after I fix my truck. I'm going to go take pictures right now.
  8. zachmilz

It's not the best quality, but I have two big dents on the side of my bed, the corner under the bumper caved in, the tailgate has 4 small dents in it, and the bed hit the cab of the truck. Oh, and I took the plasti dip off of my wheels.

[​IMG]
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Thats some good damage you have there.Your wheels look better chrome,good change!
  10. zachmilz

Yeah, it's not going to be that hard to take the dents out, though, right? I'm thinking that a thousand or so would take care of the dents?