1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So leave the bed or put a flatbed on?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by chevymon, Apr 16, 2010.

1. chevymon

chevymon New Member

So i love my truck to death and i am somewhat of the farm manger on my families farm. ive got 2 uncles both with hay and idk if i love the bed on my truck. im think a takin it off. putting a custom flatbed on my truck making the back end a dually and putting 1 inch wheel spacer in the front. than lifting the front 6 inches and the back 4. sound goood or bad?:great::neutral:
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like a project I'd like to keep up to date with. I think if it would help u out and u think u could do it right - go for it! Make that truck yours!
  3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

That sounds pretty cool. What model year and engine you running?
  4. Big75

Big75 New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love a lifted truck! BUT it sounds like you use the bed of your truck and you probably jump up in it and out of it alot. You may end up cursing it in the middle of the summer with the extra height. I do say though put the flatbed on and add the duals. I'm sure you haul more than a few things that dont fit in a standard bed. That's my functional $0.02
  5. jedepsub

jedepsub New Member

On the lift, I would say no. Think about how much higher you have to throw Hay, grain & other farm supplies in the back of truck.
  6. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

I'd say if it's a 2500HD leave the height alone, another 6 inches is gonna suck bad if you have to man handle something heavy into the back. If your doing this to a standard 1/2 ton then maybe an extra helper spring for the extra weight or even look into replacing the 1/2's with 3/4's. Just remember adding the extra height means extra lifting..........
  7. smiller09

smiller09 New Member

Put on the flat bed and add the dually in the back. Then level off the front and then it would be prefect. Dont do the lift you will hate it. Help my girls dad lift his and he has a farm and hates it now. He did a 6" lift.
    1 person likes this.