1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

soft brake pedal!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kuz6954, Mar 1, 2010.

1. kuz6954

kuz6954 New Member

I have an 08 silverado and i just changed the stock front rotors and pads. i changed the stock parts because they are horrible quality. the pads had some life left but were wearing unevenly and had pits in them. the rotors had grooves cut in them after being turned by the dealership once. i went with powerstop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. the brake pedal was fine before but since them change it now seems soft and has more travel in it. trying to find the problem. anyone have a solution or had a similar problem after a simple pad change?
  2. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

hi i would just try to bleed them. just open the bleeder and they will do it them self. one at a time.did you open the bleeder when you did the pads. if not you could damage the abs syn.
  3. kuz6954

kuz6954 New Member

no i didnt open the bleeder valve becuase i never messed with the brakes lines or opened the lines. i wouldnt think u would need to bleed them. i dont think i have abs since there are drums in the back. i could try and bleed them tomrrow though.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

You shouldn't have to bleed anything if you just changed the pads and rotors. If you took a brake line off a caliper that would be a different story, but it doesn't sound like you did.

Were there any instructions with the pads saying they had to be bed in a certain way? Or was there any grease or anti-rust coating on the rotor that you didn't clean off before you put it on?
  5. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think i would start by trying to bleed the brakes first and see if that helped. Its cheap and quick to do first. Good luck.
  6. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bleeding the brakes on my truck helped quite a bit, and it may help you solve the problems