1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Soft / smooth riding 20 inch tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kalashluvr, Dec 15, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. kalashluvr

kalashluvr New Member

I have a 2010 Silverado with factory 20's (Goodyears).

I know they're going to ride rough, but I can feel every nook and cranny in the road along with small bumps I never even knew were there!!

Has anyone replaced their factory tires with some that ride a little better? Would a softer shock help? The pavement has to be ultra smooth before my truck even hints around at having a good ride.

Thanks in advance!!
  2. 04-silverado

04-silverado New Member 100 Posts

IMO: sidewall height is key to a smoother ride. With low-profile tires, having little flexibility, one is asking all other components to "compensate". I suggest going with the tallest profile tire you can use... the rest of the suspension system components will better be able to "smooth" things out for you.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've been running Cooper's on my truck for the past 2 summers, I use 305/50/20 which is a little taller than the factory 275/55/20 and therefore slightly more sidewall. I run the Discoverer H/T plus and I'm very happy with the ride and wear characteristics, I was going to go with an all terrain but in that size they are too pricey for me at moment. I've heard nothing but negatives about the Goodyears G.M. uses, I'm sure they are probably the cheapest thing they can find!
  4. kalashluvr

kalashluvr New Member

Well, i'd really like to keep the sizes the same so that my speedo isn't really affected, etc. I've had 15 inch tires with tall sidewalls that rode rougher than others, so I know there's going to be the "best riding 275/55/20" stories. I guess if all else fails I'll investigate taller sidewalls. thanks for the input though!

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Are the wheels you have on the truck comparable to the factory 20's (width?). Just wondering if the 305/50/20 will be too wide. If that's them in the pic, they look great.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They are G.M. factory 20's model CK948, the 305's fit fine. Hopefully these pics show how well they fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. 04-silverado

04-silverado New Member 100 Posts

Aside from the excellent advice others may offer here, I suggest going to this website:

rimsntires.com

"Play" with specs, try different settings, compare results, see differences... "Find what fits"​

Determine what the factory original OVERALL height was. Remember it is the overall original HEIGHT (inflated tire) which needs to be maintained within about +/- 3-5% (i.e., an error of 3 to 5 mph @ 100 mph ... half that error at 50 mph ... etc.) or your FACTORY speedometer calibration will be out. When considering a change in TIRE SIZE, goto this website:

1010tires.com

"Input your original Vehicle Stock Tire Size data" and then input one (or more) alternative tire sizes to see how much ERROR there is going to be. ​

I don't stray from original factory setup, but many others do. If your speedometer gets too far out of calibration, you could always have it recalibrated (or even buy a tuner of your own that will perform such a function).

...just my 2cents -- karl
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. kalashluvr

kalashluvr New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. If anyone has replaced their factory 275/55-20's with the same size but different brand of tire and the truck rides better, please chime in...thanks!!
  8. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

Some suburbans/avalanches come with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Check into these and see what you think. Maybe you know somebody that drives a 'burb or avalanche? BTW, what pressure do you keep your tires at?
  9. kalashluvr

kalashluvr New Member

Ahh...good idea. I have a few friends that have Yukons with 20's.

The pressure is around 33 or 34 right now. I thought about dropping it down to 30lbs to see if there's any improvement.
  10. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

Just remember some of those vehicles might have Autoride, which may make the ride a little smoother than your leaf springs.