Software to lay out wiring schematics

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm looking for some software to lay out some electrical schematics in that's compatible with automotive 12 volt technologies. I'm hoping to find something that's a visio-like software where I can drop bosch relays, switches of all varieties, resistors, lamps, motors, the whole gamut of components you'd see in an automotive environment. I can hand-draw the schematics, but I'm hoping to be able to make nice professional looking ones that I can share with the GMTC community. Anyone know of anything that will fit the bill?

2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

If you are familiar with visio maybe there are some templates you could add in?

3. Crawdaddy

A quick preliminary search didn't yield any stencils that had what I was looking for. For example, I want to be able to place a standard Bosch relay and have the pins laid out in the proper design and labeled.

4. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like auto-cad to me...

5. Crawdaddy

I'll see if I can get a hold of AutoCad Electrical. It looks like they have a trial version available. I've found a couple other programs like Smart Draw. It seems to do a decent job but it costs far too much and is to broad of a program to do the job well.

6. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

There used to be a proram called OrCAD that was really great for schematic drawings. Don't know if they are still around, though.