1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Solid Engine mounts

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BurbanMan, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

:sign0017:
    I have a 1990 GMC Suburban 1/2 ton and im looking to put solid mount in the truck. The engine is a torque monster and quite frankly, id rather do the mount swap now while the motor is out rather than waiting till later when the motor is in. Who makes a solid mount and where can i find them? I find them everywhere for camaros and monte carlos, but that i imagine does me little good... Any help is appreciated
    :sign0144:
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are you sure you want solid mounts?
    Solid mounts transfer a lot of engine vibration to the frame and body.
    I thought I wanted to go this route on a trail truck, I found out real quick it made the vehicle noisier, and a lot more vibrations.
    I could feel engine vibrations through the steering wheel that actually tired out your arms faster while driving.
    After three off road trips with solid mounts I ended up putting rubber sandwiched mounts back in along with chains wrapped around the frame and bolted to the block.
    Ive been using this method for a couple years now and Im much happier with the results.
  3. BurbanMan

yeah. I was just thinking about that. Although, Ive never done poly inserts. I may go that route instead
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Moved to Powertrain.
  5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

The only time having solid mounts does any good is on a drag or circuit track. Otherwise you'll regret it thoroughly... That being said, if you still decide to put solids on it, any welding shop in your area would be able to make them for you and it'll probably cost less than buying something pre-fabbed.
  6. BurbanMan

how do poly mounts hold up in high torque off-road scenarios?
  7. tbplus10

Im using poly for my d/d trail truck Tacoma.
    The truck has a 400+ hp supercharged engine that pulls real hard, I was worried about tearing up oem style rubber mounts and I new from experience with my other truck solid was not the way to go.
    Poly is better than solid as far as feed back from the engine, but if you spend any time behind the wheel for trips youll want the rubber back.
  8. BurbanMan

well crap. It's a dd and a work horse. Will have 33's on it when I'm done. My 350 makes about the same after talking to the guy that built it. I may just have to get a piece of chain welded up to bolt on...
  9. tbplus10

Ive got a 1950 Shoebox Ford I play around with thats running a bored (496) and Supercharged 7.4, dont know the hp its pushing but Ive been through 2 different built TH400 trans so I know its a healthy engine, the previous owner mfgrd a custom set of engine mounts that are 2 sepparate plates with 2" thick rubber pads between the plates, their extended on the side past the frame mount position and have a 1" bolt with nut through the rubber and both plates on each end.
    With high revs the only movement I get is frame flex. Ive got a plan to add frame plates for stiffening after I find new front springs thatll carry the extra weight.
  10. BurbanMan

Can you post a couple pics?