Solid front axle conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Brigham, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Brigham

Brigham New Member

Hey I have a 1988 chevy k1500 with the IFS system in the front I want to put a solid front axle where should I start?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Start by truthfully determining your mechanical skills and how much money you can afford to spend on this project.
    Theres kits available to do a SAS or you could find a reputable shop with experience.
    No offense meant but just the act of asking on here where you should start leads me to believe you should start researching shops.
    Doing a SAS isnt for the faint at heart or the overconfident under qualified mechanic a screwup could make the truck a totally uncontrollable piece of junk or a very expensive mistake to correct.

3. Brigham

Brigham New Member

Well my main concern is theres so many options like putting leaf springs versus coil springs and I herd tht a front end of an old Toyota is the easiest way to go is that true?

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. If your going to go through all the trouble of a SAS swap then get a 1-ton front AND rear axles. Go with coil-overs for a better ride. As Tim said this is not a easy conversion. If its not done right it will Kill you. Done right its a great conversion. Do your home work and DON'T listen to shade tree, amature mechcanics.

5. Brigham

Brigham New Member

In your opinion is a SAS worth it or should I just make the IFS strong as possible because this winter my plan is to rebuild the entire truck for the second time but this time upgrade everything I can and lift it

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Take a look a RCVPerformance. They have bullet proof front axle shafts for IFS. I'd replace the rest of the front with heavyduty MOOG parts.

7. Brigham

Brigham New Member

Yea I will look into it

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably the most popular SAS axle candidates are Dana 44 and Dana 60, I'd spend the extra $$ and go with the 60.
    Leafs are easier to do, coils give better articulation, ride, and control when done right. Doing coils correctly is another story though, and definately not a job for those with no SAS experience.
    Like every mod it'll probably come down to available funding.
    Depending on how far you want to take this truck beefing up the existing front end could be a very viable alternative, probably much cheeper than a SAS.
    Truck down time for a SAS will be at least a month at most shops, longer if your trying to do it at home.

Ever thought of using an older truck frame with solid frt/rr axles and putting your body and drivetrain into it? I've seen a lot of these in the last few years done by guys that arent ready to spend the amount needed for a SAS or not quite ready to tackle the mechanics just yet.
    I know one person that swapped to the older frame and wheeled the truck that way for a few years while he was doing the SAS to the trucks original frame. Version 1 turned out quite well but in the process he got the bug and now the truck is heading to monster truck heights and not street legal.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What are your plans with the truck? Lift/tire size. Type of driving. Street/trails/mud?

10. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Check out Offroadunlimited.com. They have alot of info on sas's.