Solid Front Axle Swap?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by firefighterbbking, Feb 15, 2010.

1. firefighterbbking

firefighterbbking New Member

Anybody ever done one on a '98 1500? I'm doing my research before I jump into anything. Any tips or suggestions will be helpful.

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just make sure you are experienced with welding and some fabrication work. They make kits out there that come with all the necessary bracketry. what axle are you going with?

3. firefighterbbking

I'm not sure yet. I was thinking Dana 60. Just trying to see what others have done, what they like/don't like and so on. I've done plenty of "make it work" projects, so I'm not too worried in that department, plus it's not my daily driver, so it can sit for a while.

4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you go with a Dana 60 check out the ones from Dynatrac. They are solid deals, and extremely well-built axles. I stand behind them 100%

5. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

any specific reason you want to go solid? ifs has many advantages over solid axles like ride, handling, higher center clearance (less axle drag), better control at high rates of speed.

on the other hand solid axles perform well too. they have better articulation and durability, can handle bigger tires/loads, easier to keep aligned, have less parts, cheaper to maintain, and have more aftermarket upgrades.

depending on what you want out of your truck, most desert racers and all hummers have a beefy ifs setup while most mud boggers and trail trucks go solid. i don't know if this is because they are mostly older trucks and came with solids anyways or if it really is better for that purpose but its something to consider...

EDIT: also you might look at a live axle conversion like what was done to this '01 burban..
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/55398_ifs_lift_live_axle_conversion/index.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  6. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I definitely second that, if you have the money it would be awesome to have a custom long-travel ifs done up for your truck.

7. fx2offroad

fx2offroad Rockstar

I've done one with my buddy before on a 96 c1500 suburban. It wasn't easy, but he can weld anything, and fabricate anything. It was way cheaper than ordering the kits. He put a Dyna 60 on the front with superlift 8in. leaf packs, and the custom bracket he made added about another 5inchs. Then he ordered his stearing kit from a website online, i'll ask him and let you know.

8. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've never done any of these things, I just dig your screen name.

Welcome to the site!

9. TurboChris

TurboChris Member

While I love the ride in my 98 Suburban......not being able to have a locker or L/S in the front is a bummer....

10. firefighterbbking

Sorry I haven't replied for a while.
    I figured it would be easier to deal with a solid axle vs. IFS. I also figured it would be easier to access parts from junk yards and older trucks than to find parts for lifted IFS systems. (Cheaper too.)

I've seen that article Pete. It's pretty awesome, and definitely makes you drool. I don't think any of that's in my budget either.

fx2offroad, that would be cool if you could find out where your buddy got his steering system from.

Thanks for the input guys!