Some kind of problem???

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by Dctackett10, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

Can anyone tell me what this is?

is it the thing for remote start?

anyways. When I popes my hood I saw this thing covered in something, not sure if it was oil or power steering fluid

checked the oil and it was perfect. Checked the power steering fluid and it looked a bit low

does anyone know what this could be
    every time I start the truck it smokes a bit. It's a white smoke. Only last for about 2 to 4 minutes and then goes away.
    I know I have a wheel bearing going out, could this have something to do with it

seems like I have had nothing but problems since I've bought this truck in October of last year

its a 2007 LT avalanche with 120,000 miles on it

any help would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

that is your steering shaft. it goes from your steering wheel to your gear box (on 4x4 models) or the rack and pinion (2wd models). The wheel bearing going out has nothing to do with white smoke. If it is cold where you live it is normal to have a visible exhaust at start up.

3. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

It has been cold. But it still smokes white when it's about 60 degrees outside. And it kind of smells like something is being burnt. But again. All fluids check out fine.

Any idea why the steering shaft could be covered in some kind of fluid?
    Could it be power steering pump problems?

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Check your Oil Again There has been some Problems with the Great AF%M 5.3's...and bearings too... GM Cheap crap from China..

5. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

Yea, I've been reading about it on here. But I don't think that's what's wrong with mine. I have no engine light on and the truck runs great still. It's been smoking white at start up for a little over a month now. Went and checked the oil, it's perfect. Coolant is fine. Only thing that was low a bit was the power steering fluid.

Gonna test the coolant tomorrow. I read that I should take the cap off and rev the engine a bit, if there's bubbles, I could have a blown head gasket. But if that was the case, wouldn't I be low on antifreeze

also read that the valve seals and guides could cause white smoke at start up. Do you all think that's worth checking into, or a waste of time?

6. Enkeiavalanche

Mine did it at start u and when ever the truck went from 4 back to 8 Cyl I saw out my back window..

7. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

What was causing yours to do that

8. Enkeiavalanche

The AFM Problem Oil Consumption..

9. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

Yours was using oil though. Right?